Diving New England 72s or 80s

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Danny D

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I dive in New England and am in the market for some double tanks. Ill be diving wet for the most part. So what do you guys recomend I should go with Double 72s or 80s. Majority rules im indecisive because the pros and con's on both kind are in the same ballpark. :doctor:

FOr wetsuit diving, up here in NE, I would say go with the 80's...

Do a search, because this topic has been covered...

As far as getting double 72's, you might be able to find a set, but since they are producing them anymore, its kinda tough... (LP 72's filled to 2250)...

Yeah,

I did do the search ...non of the prior posts even had their questions answered (went astray cause of some guysBC with 10000lbs of lift ). Just wondering what my fellow NE divers are using for doubles...I had a set of double 50's but somone decided to steal them.....( I HOPE THEY NEVER HYDRO AGAIN!!!)

I would have thought to go the norm with the 80's but iv been hearing lots of people talking about the 72's again

Well, first of all, what type of diving are you doing??? If you are planning on doing shore dives with these doubles, then it would almost be a toss up between the two choices. However, if you are planning on doing lots of deep wreck dives, then I would say, get a drysuit, and some big steel doubles (PST E8-130's).

FOr wetsuit diving up here in NE, for dives no deeper than 100ft, I would go with the AL 80's. They are cheap, easy to find, and you wont have to worry about people yelling at you for using steel doubles with a wetsuit...

LOL...

I don;t really feel like dropping $2000 on a double steel/drysuit setup right now just bought a mustang lol. I will prob go with the 80's like you said they are cheap...

When aluminum's empty though that is alot of positive bouyancy with doubles no.

SS BP 6#, weight belt for the rest of the lead you need...

Its not that bad...

If you can find a good set of 72s at a reasonable price (preferably galvanized and unlined for under $75 each in hydro, or $0-25 out of hydro, and have a shop nearby that isn't weird about filling them, by all means go with them, especially if you have a nice old time shop (or a buddy with a compressor) that will put 2500-2600psi in them. They are nicer in every way than alu.

But why do you never hear of anyone doubling up a set of alminum 100's for diving wet??

if the answer is really obvious, and I'm just mildly retarded, please feel free to slap me in the back of the head.

I haven't used aluminum tanks since my OW class many years ago, but I figure for the guys going down wet why not use 100's?

:confused:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom