diving near williamsburg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gzscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My parents are moving to Williamsburg, VA soon, and I'm hoping to possibly get in some diving when I'm visiting. Any recommendations within, say, a 2 hr drive? I've seen some mention on the boards of diving off Virginia Beach. What kind of diving can I look forward to? My experience has so far been limited to mostly muck-diving in lakes with low vis, but very little current.
Thanks,

60 miles - Virginia Beach offers some some fair ocean diving and pretty close to you.

100 miles - Rawlings, VA is home to Lake Rawlings, a quarry with extremely good viz (30-50 usually) and depths to 60 ft, fill station on site.

230 miles - Morehead City, NC is about 230 miles and has some of the best diving in the world, incredible sealife, warm water and great viz.

Dave D

Try Lynnhaven Dive Center or Divequarters. I would rate it better than "fair" ocean diving. Frankly, the wrecks are as good as Moorehead City. The difference is that the Gulf Stream doesn't come in as close to shore, so bottom temps are cooler and the viz is generally not as good as the "Wreck Diving Capital Of The World"....Moorehead City. But believe me, a muck diver will think it's fantastic.

Another 70 miles gets you to Nags Head, NC.....similar to Virginia Beach, but different wrecks including U-85, a German submarine.

I agree with the other guys. Va Beach and Lynnhaven is probably the best. Especially if you are into any deeper diving. I live in Richmond, which is about 45 minutes west of Williamsburg. Lake Rawlings is a pretty good quarry. Two weekends ago a friend of mine did the check out dives for two ow students and the temp was 37 degrees. I hope you are diving dry. Of course if you check out NOAA the chesapeake bay light tower off of Va Beach in only in the 40's. James.

Greg, I think that the diving near virginia beach is much better than just "fair". I have a 21' boat and take it up to 20 miles offshore and I've seen visibility as good as 50 feet or more sometimes. Some days at the Chesapeake Light Tower which is about 45 feet deep you can see specific sea shells on the bottom from out of the water on the boat. I have lots of fun diving wrecks around the coast as well as the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. As the other guys said, check out dive quarters and lynnhaven dive centers for trip schedules and pictures. Later, Jon

Any new news about Williamsburg Diving? I have never been fresh water diving...7mm full suit is what I use in So Cal with hood and gloves until the water temp hits around 60. unless I am going past 100 ft. Just wandiering what to bring and for a dive buddy/.

There really isn't any diving in Williamsburg itself. Too far from any clear water. The suggestions above are your best bet.

It's definitely worth while to take a trip out of VA Beach. They run $40+ depending on how far out they are. Vis can be as good as 25 feet and as bad as 5 feet. Close in dives are 70feet and further out are 90+ feet.

I liked diving off Nags Head (terrible surface swim) to the Triangle Wrecks which are in 15-25 feet of water. Lovely and warm down there, so you can dive for 2+ hours on a tank.

Back
Top Bottom