Diving near South Bend IN

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mercracing

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
We have a family wedding in south bend Indiana in October. I’m trying to let my wife go to the wedding while I go diving. Is there any diving close by either quarry, Lake Michigan, or Lake Erie?

Easy to jump on the boat out of Hammond Indiana to hit the southern Lake Michigan wrecks. You’re getting late in the season though, so weather can be unpredictable.

Easy to jump on the boat out of Hammond Indiana to hit the southern Lake Michigan wrecks. You’re getting late in the season though, so weather can be unpredictable.
Is there anything similar in Lake Erie? Never been to that one yet.

I've only been living in South Bend since January, but what I have observed your options are basically two quarries and Lake Michigan:
  • Gilboa Quarry
  • Haigh Quarry
  • Lake Michigan - Double Action Charters out of Hammond
The LDS for South Bend is Milinko's Swim and Scuba. Not sure if you're going to bring your own equipment or not, but they do offer that in case you need more than tanks.

Also, depending on the weekend, feel free to hit me up if you need a dive buddy.

Thanks, i’ll keep you posted. I would be bringing all my own gear.
I've only been living in South Bend since January, but what I have observed your options are basically two quarries and Lake Michigan:
  • Gilboa Quarry
  • Haigh Quarry
The LDS for South Bend is Milinko's Swim and Scuba. Not sure if you're going to bring your own equipment or not, but they do offer that in case you need more than tanks.

Also, depending on the weekend, feel free to hit me up if you need a dive buddy.

Is there anything similar in Lake Erie? Never been to that one yet.
There are many wrecks in the Western Basin, but not charter operators as the demand isn't there. The Western end of Lake Erie is very shallow. The boat traffic churning the bottom coupled with the rest of the Lakes draining into a 90 degree turn makes for a very silty area. This makes very low vis during the summer and they aren't dove a lot. There are many people out diving them and they are well marked. MAST is an organization that puts buoys out on the popular wrecks for diving. It is mostly done from private boats.
Eastern Lake Erie is much like the other Lakes, good visibility and deeper depths. Osprey Charters runs out of Barcelona, NY and runs all summer long with lots of opportunities for walk on divers. If you want to try Lake Erie, give Captain John @ Osprey a call.

• Gilboa Quarry
  • Haigh Quarry

You don’t want to dive Haigh. Viz is consistently bad. Go to Gilboa.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom