Diving near Malaga Spain?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rayaa3

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,

I was hoping someone could give me some info about the diving around/near Malaga, Spain.

I appreciate any information that can be provided.

I may be taking a trip to Malaga next Spring (March 2013). What are the dive sites like within this area (within 1 hour of Malaga)?

If I am diving, I will be with my wife and daughter - and they will be diving.

I was wondering about conditions:

Windy/Choppy seas?

Current?

Is the diving typically drift?

What is the typical water temp this time of year?

What is typically the visibility?

If I choose to take my own gear are most shops using DIN or Yoke for regulators? Or will they typically have an adapter?

thanks much for any info you can provide it's much appreciated. I've done ~100 dives in Central America but I have no experience with diving in Spain, or Europe.

Ray

Hi check out Simply diving.com
Based just outside of Malaga
5 star idc
best dive opp on Costa Del Sol

I live near Cadiz on the other side of Spain but my family and I like to get out near Malaga every so often. The most of my diving I've done in Tarifa with Yellow Submarine. They dive the southern most point of Spain. The vis is usually between 20 feet and 50 feet. There is almost always current there, sometimes strong, but I've never been seperated from my buddy or group.

I've also dove in Nerja a couple of times. The vis was about 20-30 feet both times. I went with the dive shop on Burriana beach and they are nice enough. You do have to walk from the shop to the beach for the boat to pick you up and it is a hundred or so yard walk. The next time I dove with them they took the bottles to the boat so we didn't have to carry them. The diving both times has been o.k. Usual med critters.

I've also dove with Happy divers in Marbella. We dove some OLD sewage line and a 200 year old French Galleon. Both were shore dives, shallow, super easy / relaxing with no current. Not much to see on the turbo but the Galleon was cool.

Temperature in all three areas was between 56-60 degree's. I have a 5 mil and I'm often cold on the second dive.

Tarifa is my favorite spot and the current is usually manageable, even for my newb skills. It seems that there is more life there as well. There is also the Med side and the Atlantic side so if it is windy they will take you opposite the wind, it makes for a better dive.

The places I've dove with are mostly yoke regs but it seems they are able to accomodate both. Wind is always a factor here in Spain but I can only think of one or two times the dive shop has called me the day before to say we will be blown out.

All of these area's are within hour to hour and half of Malaga depending on where exactly you stay there. It is a nice area enjoy it. If you have any other questions let me know!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom