Diving myths taught for safety?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Was it a rhetorical question?

Actually, it was not. I was pointing out all the Do nots unless you have more than OWC.

And, as a side note, with under 50 dives under my belt, I can honestly say I have done all 4. I am still alive, and no DCS or other diving injuries, yet.

Actually, it was not. I was pointing out all the Do nots unless you have more than OWC.

And, as a side note, with under 50 dives under my belt, I can honestly say I have done all 4. I am still alive, and no DCS or other diving injuries, yet.

Congratulations!

As was noted, there is no one telling you not to do 3 of them, and people do them all the time.

As for the overhead environment one, I'm glad you came out OK. A lot of people don't. Similarly, a lot of people will drive over 100 mph in a 55 mph zone and live. Quite a few in fact. I'm not sure that makes it a good idea.

I think they should always say WHY you should not do something.

Why are we limited to a depth of 60 feet?
Why is night diving a no no?
Why are caves and wreck penetrations bad?
Why should I not dive solo?

Lets face it, if we knew why, we might respect the limit.

The mind truly boggles, who are "they"? I'm convinced all this information is in the PADI OW handbook perhaps students should take more responsibility for their own training?

other diving injuries, yet.
There's still time for that Darwin award yet! I'm intrigued was the penetration dive a wreck or cave?

There's still time for that Darwin award yet! I'm intrigued was the penetration dive a wreck or cave?

A short cave, it was about 3m high. The openings were about 2m diameter, about 4m length. It was more a tunnel than cave.

Darwinism is not that strong in society these days.

A short cave, it was about 3m high. The openings were about 2m diameter, about 4m length. It was more a tunnel than cave.

Darwinism is not that strong in society these days.

Unfortunately, here in the US there are many places where Darwin is not taught. Some people refuse to believe in evolution and will continue to eat fatty foods, refined sugar and dive in confined places...

Of course I am sure that St Peter will clarify all these rules at the pearly gates....:poke:

So, Last night I posted a question about holding your breath. I got the answer I suspected.

A few weeks ago, I asked about not having your light on when night diving, and got the answer I suspected.

The answers are: a novice should not, but with experience you can. There are dangers to it that, as a novice, is not worth the risk.

So, my new more broader question: What myths are taught that are like those already mentioned. They are taught to keep the new diver from dying, when in reality, it can be done safely IF you have more skill and you understand the reasoning behind it.

One possible alternative phrasing is: if you are planning to do dopey things, your odds of avoiding harm increase if you have more skill and experience to cope with the potential range of outcomes. Sounds about right.

I skip breathe. It is not a good thing for anyone to do, but my odds of coming to grief are probably lower than most others because of experience. That doesn't make it a good idea.

One possible alternative phrasing is: if you are planning to do dopey things, your odds of avoiding harm increase if you have more skill and experience to cope with the potential range of outcomes. Sounds about right.

I skip breathe. It is not a good thing for anyone to do, but my odds of coming to grief are probably lower than most others because of experience. That doesn't make it a good idea.

It's one thing to skip breath. But to admit it in a place like this.....nowand from this day forward if you ever have an incident with a lung injury orget bent the insurance might not cover your health care...readbetween the lines you will have to pay thousands of what every currency islocal to get treatment......might I change that statement to you are a fool toadmit you practice what is taught wrong by all training orgs and dive insurancecompanies.

Good Luck you will continue to be a fool and get a HIT.

I'm not sure if this is still taught, but surely a once-prevalent myth was "deepest dive of the day should be the first dive of the day."

I think the most dangeous "myth" is that there are non-solo dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom