Diving Louisiana

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kuwe

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey there!
I'm a new diver in central-west Louisiana looking for dive sites to have a little fun and learn a lot! Can't find anyplace for entry level diving around on the web. If there is anybody out there please help me out with some close by sites in LA and eastern TX. (A GPS Grid and a brief description would be great!)

Kuwe

Find a good gravel pit pond. Usually they are quite big like a small lake. Vis can be 10' or more.
You will have to ask around but there are a bunch down here by my house. I haven't dove them but we swim in them. Some of them have some deep holes I would like to go down in. Probably around 60' I'm sure they probably have some around your house too.

Also goggle Blue Lagoon Texas you will see a scuba park that looks pretty nice.
I ran across it awhile back.

Besides that there is the gulf but I wouldn't consider that entry level.

Hey there!
I'm a new diver in central-west Louisiana looking for dive sites to have a little fun and learn a lot! Can't find anyplace for entry level diving around on the web. If there is anybody out there please help me out with some close by sites in LA and eastern TX. (A GPS Grid and a brief description would be great!)

Kuwe

Louisiana may well be the sportsman's paradise, but when it comes to scuba diving opportunities, it lacks real depth and vision, both figuratively and literally. If you drive down to Cocodrie and go out into the gulf from there, about 90 miles out into the Gulf of Mexico you will run into clear water. There are spear fishing trips out there, and there are trips out to the Flower Gardens. Yes, there are some quarries that are cold water and not very interesting, but not organized the way some of the quarries up north are or Alabama Blue Water (ABWA) near Birmingham, AL. I would rather drive 5 hours to Destin, Panama City or Marianna than to drive 30 minutes to dive in Lake Ponchartrain just to get wet.

Unfortunately, our location in Louisiana doesn't lend itself well to getting to nice dive sites, but don't let that discourage you because we are all in the same boat needing to travel. Get to know the divers that live in your area. Travel together and save money. Initially you may want to go on organized trips with the dive shop you were certified with, and continue to advance your dive training on trips with them. But to ease the pocketbook a little, make dive buddies of your own, and go places together just to practice diving and have fun.:D

Dive safe!

The Toledo Bend dam turbine channel is not to bad on days when the dam isn't generating. Talk to Dick Wilgus at Dive Toledo dive shop on the lake

Back
Top Bottom