Diving locations in the Netherlands?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DutchDown once bubbled...
I've also heard it's a good spot, but I haven't dove there yet. I plan to in the coming weeks. It seems very popular, especially for those who don't have the time to travel to Zeeland. That's also my case, but I look forward to diving in Zeeland as soon as I can.

well it is good if you compare it to not diving at all. And as a matter of fact, one of the reasons i have no plans on moving back to the Netherlands any time soon is because i might as well give up diving. There is a 'stuwmeer' in Luxemburg that is worth diving, i forgot the name of it though. And then there is boatdives on the Northsea but i would not do those dives unless you have experience. The Zilvermeer in Mol (Belgium) is a popular training spot although there is nothing to see even if visibility is good, which it is most of the time. If you ever want to get into wreckdiving, Scapa Flow Scotland is close but again those are advanced dives.

sheck33:
“well it is good if you compare it to not diving at all. And as a matter of fact, one of the reasons i have no plans on moving back to the Netherlands any time soon is because i might as well give up diving.”

Yea I know… It’s been since last October that I dived... I should go on holidays more *smile* or move somewhere else too if I want to become a more experienced diver. I’ll give Vinkeveense plassen a try... I heard it’s usually very crowded out there and it’s very artificial. I believe they just dumped a bus there for a nice scuba diving spot... oh well, it IS better than nothing at all!

The wrecks in the North Sea must be quite deep eh?

Je kunt wel een beetje goed duiken in Seattle??

Watersprite

watersprite once bubbled...
sheck33:

Je kunt wel een beetje goed duiken in Seattle??

Watersprite

Are you kidding? Afgezien van de kou is duiken hier fantastisch en verder heb ik het grote geluk dat ik een 45 min rijden zit van top GUE instructeurs. Vergeet PADI, NOB en al die andere organisaties, de standaard van voorgenoemde organisaties is lachwekkend. Het heeft tijd en geld gekost om daar achter te komen maar nu kan ik hier eindelijk duiken en trainen met de best getrainde duikers ter wereld. Het is jammer dat de NOB destijds zonodig alles in het PADI formaat moest gaan doen. Veel kwaliteit is toen verloren gegaan. Als je ooit de kans hebt moet je eens deze kant op komen. :)

groet

I was in Seattle for a weekend in 2001...! It was just after 9/11, will never forget it! I was lucky to get into the US from Canada...

'k zou graag nog een keer die kant op gaan, maar zie het niet gauw gebeuren...

Ik verwacht daar inderdaad koud water, maar het zal vast wel stukken helderder dan in Nederland...!!

groetjes,
Watersprite

The diving here won't compare with more exotic locations. I was in Bali a couple of months ago, for instance. But for myself, it's as you pointed out...better than not diving at all. I'll make a trip or two to the Med this year. South France and perhaps Malta. I'm glad you enjoy living in the U.S. I'm American and am settled in The Netherlands. I can, by the way, read and speak Nederlands...I just can't write in it yet.

Phil

Dutchdown,

Where abouts in the Netherlands are you?

Chiara suggested on the other message board (where the newbies introduce themselves) to go diving with a bunch of us of ScubaBoard & friends (Belgians/Dutchies or whoever is in the neighbourhood) in Zeeland next July.

Perhaps you'd like to come too?

I met some Dutch girls in Australia/New Zealand who'd love to try out diving over here too so I'd like to organise something in that period anyway.

If you're interested, feel free to drop me your details in a private message so I can contact you when it gets closer.

Watersprite

Hello,

Glad to see that there are some dutch and belgium divers on this board aswell. Will this dive in july still take place? If so and work doesn't stand in the way I would like to tag along if possible.

Still a newbe at the whole diving thing (11 logged dives so far). And haven't dived in colder water yet, but I think I should try the diving here in holland aswell.

watersprite: Have you dived yet here in holland?

Hi sachar,

Cool to see another Dutchie! :) Welcome!

I haven't 'talked' to Chiara for a while, but I e-mailed with Dutchdown not too long ago, who is still enthousiastic about diving some time.

I booked a trip for July and will be back in August, so I can't go in July. I'm still planning to dive in Zeeland with some friends in August. They are all beginners, so we'll try to get some more advanced divers to come along and who know where we should go. Perhaps Dutchdown and Chiara would like to come too? I'm currently thinking of Saturday August 9th. I still have to check this date with my friends though...

Yes, I did make two dives a few weeks ago, in Vinkeveen. I went with two 'dive masters' (who may join us to Zeeland as well...)
I was very disappointed and thought I'll give up on diving in the Netherlands all together if the other diving spots are that bad too!! There was hardly any fish and, as in fresh water, not much was growing there at all. I did enjoy the day very much and we had lots of fun, but it was more like "playing around" with some beer cans than enjoying the nature! :( I guess I'm just a spoilt diver....

Anyhow.... if you would like to try the diving in Vinkeveen as well, I can always give you the contact details of the two guys with whom I went diving. They are going every week and they like taking new people with them. So, just let me know if you're interested!

Regards,
watersprite

PS. you live very close to me actually... I'm in H'dorp.

watersprite once bubbled...
This is going to be my first diving experience in the Netherlands so I guess I'll see how much I like it before I can tell I'll keep diving here. :eek:ut: I really love scuba diving so I think I should keep doing it, even if it's cold and you don't see a thing...

I live near Amsterdam, so Enschede would be quite far.

I heard the clearest water would be Zeeland. I guess I should try it out there then.

Did anyone of you ever go to Vinkeveense Plassen for scubadiving as well? I heard there's a park with some wrecks? Is it worth a dive?

Thanks!

I have a map that will give you an idea of what you can find in the Vinkeveense plassen. I go there a lot mainly because it's easy to get to when I dive with buddies form the office.

Unfortunately, the board won't accept it due to its size. Mail me and I'll send it to you.

Where did you get your log in name from.

In my experience El Orans is the name the Bedu of Wadi Rum, Jordan gave to TE Lawrence.

Do please enlighten me!

Back
Top Bottom