Diving locations in the Netherlands?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

El Orans,

in the meantime I´ve checked it all out there! I also had a look at a map of what you can find in the Vinkeveense plassen... I ´ve seen a map of the diving location on the internet as well.

I wasn´t quite enthousiastic about diving there. Lol... I´ve decided I´m a holiday diver :) Nevertheless, thanks for the offer!

Watersprite

AbuK once bubbled...
Where did you get your login name from?

In my experience El Orans is the name the Bedu of Wadi Rum, Jordan gave to TE Lawrence.

Do please enlighten me!

Hi AbuK,

I don't even need to tell you where it came from. You know its origin better than I do.

Why I use it?
Easy, my first name is Laurens which translates into English as Lawrence. Since someone at the office once referred to me as Lawrence of Arabia, I thought "Why not?".
At least it's not a common name... :)

There's a new underwater tunnel in the Oostvoornse meer.
Just PM me if you want to see the PDF-files.

Hello my name is Brandon, I am from the United States. I live in Florida wich is south. I was reading you post and got interested until someone started writing in Dutch lol. I guess I need to take lessons in Dutch. Anyways tell me what the diving is like where you all dive. Me being in florida the water is great. We have springs to dive wich the water is 72 year round and we have the gulf of mexico on the west coast side wich has some neat wrecks and waters ranges from 70 to 87 then we have the Atlantic Ocean on the east coast water temp is about the same and the vis depends on the weather but can be 300 ft at times. I woould like to venture someplace else to dive plus I have always had a thing for netherlands. But someone give tips for the are you are in please.... thanks brandon from florida (u.s.a.)

Hi Brandon,

Zeeland has some pretty good spots (Nieuwe Kerkweg, 't Koepeltje, Grevelingenmeer, Zeeland-brug). Oostvoorne is nice too, can be a bit crowded with students. The same applies to the Vinkeveense plassen.

Lots of them can be found on this site
http://www.duikplas.nl/duikplaatsen/. It is in Dutch but you can use this site to translate: http://www.worldlingo.com/wl/Translate.

Usually the vis is around 2 to 4 meters in the lakes, salt water has a bit better vis. I haven't seen anyone diving without at least
a 5 or 7 mm full suit.

There are plenty of Diving Dutchies around should you want to dive in the Netherlands.

Kind regards,

El Orans

There are some good spots to dive here. The Netherlands is likely not in anyone's Top 10 list as a diving destination, but for those of us who live here, it's a lot better than not diving at all. There are plenty of wrecks in the North Sea as well as the flora and fauna of Zeeland, which, by the way, is a coastal province in the southwest of The Netherlands.

Even though diving is probably not a reason on which to base a trip to The Netherlands, there are a million other reasons to come. So pack your bags and come on over.

One last aside...I'm a farm boy from Illinois. Trust me, you'll enjoy a trip to The Netherlands.

All the best,

Phil

hey Brandon,

I actually didn't want to respond because I think the diving sucks here. :( I'm a spoilt diver I guess!! I don't know what the diving is like in Florida though, but I guess it's much much better than here. I wouldn't recommend planning a trip to the Netherlands because of the diving! As DutchDown said, definitely check out this beautiful country though! :) There is a lot more to see than Amsterdam, so if you get the chance, try to get to see other areas too!

Anyhow... if you want to dive here, don't go diving in a lake. I tried the Vinkeveense plassen and I didn't enjoy it at all. I hardly saw anything, no life, no plants, nothing. I was quite bored actually and if diving bores me, it's NOT a good thing at all...! I almost gave up on diving in this country after I tried Vinkeveense Plassen (lake near Amsterdam) but I was really glad that I gave Zeeland a try as well.

Zeeland is a province in the south, where you can dive in the North Sea. Zeeland has some nice dive locations, with lots of lobsters, crabs, fishes and various plants. I guess DutchDown and ElOrans already gave you the more exact locations of where you should go...

Perhaps they would like to go diving with you. I don't dive anymore after September :) (cold!! brrr....). If you can't find a buddy, then send me a PM/an e-mail at dipsausjes@hotmail.com. Perhaps I can ask some dive buddies if they feel like scuba diving. Some of them are quite fanatic and even dive when it freezes! :amazed:

Watersprite

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom