Diving LI North Shore

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bogrady

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm a native LIer now living in the land of the Texas Swamp Divers. Brand new to this great adventure. My son and I did our OW cert in Lake Travis (58 F in Feb - froze our keesters off!!) and Aquarena Springs (78 F much nicer!).

My parents have a beachfront condo on the north shore in Greenport right next to the the Soundview Inn. My son is going to spend a week with them in July and I am looking for advice and guidance on shore diving in the area. He can literally walk out the back door and into the sound.

I know the LDS is the Hampton in Riverhead. Talked to them and they said the shore diving was good. Any recent experience to share - Visibility, Water Temp - should I fly up with him to join him?

bogrady:
I'm a native LIer now living in the land of the Texas Swamp Divers. Brand new to this great adventure. My son and I did our OW cert in Lake Travis (58 F in Feb - froze our keesters off!!) and Aquarena Springs (78 F much nicer!).

My parents have a beachfront condo on the north shore in Greenport right next to the the Soundview Inn. My son is going to spend a week with them in July and I am looking for advice and guidance on shore diving in the area. He can literally walk out the back door and into the sound.

I know the LDS is the Hampton in Riverhead. Talked to them and they said the shore diving was good. Any recent experience to share - Visibility, Water Temp - should I fly up with him to join him?

Where you described the condo sounds like he should be able to do just what you said. Walk out and into the sound. One of the best beach dive sites on the ISLAND is just a little east of there the infamous "Secret Beach" aka Clarks Beach. Unfortunately of recent that site has its problems with access. but where u say the condo is, it just bit down from it so the conditions should be just as good.
Also he doesn't have to venture all the way back to Riverhead. Sound View Scuba is right on Sound Ave. a few miles west of where your parents condo is.

Back
Top Bottom