Diving lessons disappointment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

3,000 plus dives - I AM IMPRESSED! What an awesome life you must lead! Thanks for the info from someone as skilled as yourself. How is the diving there where you live?

Maybe part of the problem is that the course you took was too fast paced. If I remember correctly, my OW course was 2 nights a week for 4 weeks or so. That gives you time to practice. Also there was only 5 of us in the class (me, a couple, their son and the son's best friend) and 3 (unknown to the instructor) students were already certified, so they did not need much practice. The reason the three certified divers were there was because the mother failed the fast course at the other shop and took the slower course, which she passed.

Hi Seastargf,

I also did a one-on-one for my checkouts but for very different reasons; i was injured during my initial course and then did the one-on-one thing because it fit my schedule best. But it's also a good environment for your situation where you'd feel you were getting the attention you need from the instructor to make you more comfortable.

I was also scared of mask-clearing and practiced in the pool all day until i could do it instinctively. You don't specify if your issue is procedural (e.g. i keep clearing but it keeps leaking) or psychological (e.g. as soon as the water hits my nose i get very anxious). If it's the second one you could not only practice the entire clearing procedure in the pool but also immerse your face in the water and breath through a snorkel. On second thought, you can do this in your bathtub!

I'm not an instructor so take my advice with a grain of salt but i came to the conclusion that one of the issues is that the sudden change in temperature causes a reflex impulse that leads to anxiety. On every dive i immerse my head in the water before i put my mask on and i find that it helps. Again, this works for me but i'm not sure if something like this is "regular" advice by instructors.

You are right! This course was too fast paced for me, though I did well the first day with all the skills, the second day with the exam. Anyway, I think that when he told us he wanted to get out of there early the second day, it affected us all and I don't really know what happened after I left (at his suggestion). I really wanted to fininh, I had done so well.

Anyway, things happen for a reason...............and I'm NOT a quitter. I know I can dive (which I did the first part of November) certified or not. But...I'll get there and I WILL NOT< CANNOT quit diving whenever I get the chance. That was only my first attempt at getting certified.

Good for you. You can do it.

I would try and get at least a partial refund. Maybe print out this thread and show them.

I had one on one instruction for both OW and AOW and I feel it made a world of difference. When I talk to my friends who were certified in groups it is a completely different experience. Fortunately I did not have to pay extra

You should speak with the owener of the shop and get some financial satisfaction.

Hey there,

sorry to hear about your issue with the instructor.

As this wise person said:

Damselfish:
I would try and get at least a partial refund. Maybe print out this thread and show them.

This may persuade them to see reason and let you do a 1-1 without having to pony up (no pun here) extra cash ...

My 2 pesos

You hired the store to do one thing, teach you to scuba. Simply go to the store manager/owner and explain your experience. I dont know of too many owners that would like to be recieving that explanation, unless this particuliar instructor is the owner. In an time where the slightest of slights can send a customer to another avenue, a store just cannot afford to not know this story. I dont know you, but odds are your a customer that had a choice when visiting the store, a choice for spending your money with them and now another choice that you didnt subscribe to. Women aren't going away anytime in our lifetime, if there was a gender issue with you, there was probably one before you and will be after you. You can reasonably expect to be taught scuba, whether its how to use the tables, fit a mask or clear a mask, if you cannot get that, there is something terribly wrong with that situation which it'll be your choice whether to continue to support the store.

I would have to agree with the Board, here. You are paying for a service. If the LDS/Instructor is not providing that service FOR ANY REASON, you are not getting what you paid for. It doesn’t matter what the cause is. It doesn’t matter if there is another side to the story or not. The PAYING CLIENT is NOT getting what she PAID FOR.

If you sat down in a restaurant and ordered a steak, would you accept a luke warm hamburger instead? Neither would I. Why should it be any different with diving instruction?

If the problem is you, then it will come out after you’ve had an instructor of three.

Just a few points about things that have been suggested. I don’t meant to sound obtuse, but we might want to make sure there are some clarifications.

Someone posted:
Quick overview of a mask clearing method:
Look up at a 45 degree angle
Touch the top of your mask with two fingers, press the seal against your forehead and exhale until clear.

Perhaps we should note that this means exhale through the nose. OK, sounds simple…except with everything else new that you’re (read I was) learning, it needs to be crystal clear. (I found out that blowing through your regulator does nothing to clear your mask.):D

Someone else posted:
One of the things I've heard works for some is to fill your mask up with water, put it on, and then breath normal. Our natural instincts are not to breath when there is water on our face and that is what you have to overcome.

This is a great idea, but, PLEASE, when the water-filled mask is one your face, breathe through your mouth! (Although, if you’re in sea water, it does make a good nasal rinse!):shakehead

theatis posted a great comment:
I was also scared of mask-clearing and practiced in the pool all day until i could do it instinctively. You don't specify if your issue is procedural (e.g. i keep clearing but it keeps leaking) or psychological (e.g. as soon as the water hits my nose i get very anxious). If it's the second one you could not only practice the entire clearing procedure in the pool but also immerse your face in the water and breath through a snorkel. On second thought, you can do this in your bathtub!

Procedural v. psychological! What a great concept to incorporate into OW educational programs. If it is psychological, it CAN be surmounted with proper training (water filled mask on face - breathe through MOUTH). If procedural, it can be learned.:wink:

Very interesting thread! I have found, in my limited diving experience, that most divers are very willing to help or make suggestions. Only one or two have been condescending. To those who have offered tips and suggestions: THANK YOU!:)

Glad you’re keeping at it seastargf!

Back
Top Bottom