Diving Koh Phangan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

philmayer

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I see several threads about Koh Samui and Koh Tao, but no recent mention of Koh Phangan.

Can anyone recommend who to dive with or where to stay?

I'm a PADI DM and have plenty of experience.

Hi there,

There are a number of dive centres on Phangan, we recommend Sail Rock Divers to all of our customers who head over there. Phangan's dive centres are scattered fairly evenly around the island, so where you stay really depends on which centre you choose to dive with (Sail Rock Divers are based in Chaloklum). Your dive centre will also be able to recommend suitable accommodation options for you in the area.

Dive site wise, Sail Rock is pretty much the only option, unless you want to pay more for speedboat transfers to Koh Tao dive sites.

In terms of other things to do, some of the waterfall hikes are very cool, and we highly recommend the Just For Fun Canopy Adventure too.

Happy holiday planning :)

Hi there,

There are a number of dive centres on Phangan, we recommend Sail Rock Divers to all of our customers who head over there. Phangan's dive centres are scattered fairly evenly around the island, so where you stay really depends on which centre you choose to dive with (Sail Rock Divers are based in Chaloklum). Your dive centre will also be able to recommend suitable accommodation options for you in the area.

Dive site wise, Sail Rock is pretty much the only option, unless you want to pay more for speedboat transfers to Koh Tao dive sites.

In terms of other things to do, some of the waterfall hikes are very cool, and we highly recommend the Just For Fun Canopy Adventure too.

Happy holiday planning :)

Thanks.

Yeah, I was thinking seriously about Chaloklum. I think I want to be in that area for the serenity. Sail Rock I definitely want to hit several times.

---------- Post added January 30th, 2014 at 08:43 PM ----------

You might want to check out Haad Yao Divers as well.

Will do. Thanks.

I dive there every year and I am about to head out there again next week.

I am not that fond of Sail Rock Divers, prefer Chaloklum Diving or The Dive Inn. Anyway you don't need to lock in right now. Just go there and visit the shops and you will easily figure out who hits the spot. The two shops I recommend are in Chaloklum village and diagonally across from each other (a 2 min walk). Sail Rock Divers have a resort complex on a road off the intersection with 7-11 near the entrance to the village, a bit of a distance from the village but still walkable. If you have a scooter or a car, even easier to visit them all and check them out.

When things aren't busy it's almost always Sail Rock but there's also the "3 Pinnacle Dive" that they do on request if they get enough people. That day is worth doing!

I dive there every year and I am about to head out there again next week.

I am not that fond of Sail Rock Divers, prefer Chaloklum Diving or The Dive Inn. Anyway you don't need to lock in right now. Just go there and visit the shops and you will easily figure out who hits the spot. The two shops I recommend are in Chaloklum village and diagonally across from each other (a 2 min walk). Sail Rock Divers have a resort complex on a road off the intersection with 7-11 near the entrance to the village, a bit of a distance from the village but still walkable. If you have a scooter or a car, even easier to visit them all and check them out.

When things aren't busy it's almost always Sail Rock but there's also the "3 Pinnacle Dive" that they do on request if they get enough people. That day is worth doing!

Thank you Mr. Black. Do Chaloklum or Dive Inn own their dive boats, or do they contract out?

How long will you be staying? We will probably be there at the same time.

Yep Chaloklum diving have the best boat there. Spacious wet area below with a head. Upstairs dry area and first aid room. Hot Thai meals and cold soft drinks for lunch.

The Dive Inn were chartering on other boats when I was there last, but they now have their own boat which I am keen to try Tuesday or Wednesday. interestingly the Dive Inn has outranked Chaloklum Diving on TripAdvisor now. CD was #1 for ages now they're #2 and Dive Inn is #1. But that's TripAdvisor so... Meh.

If you will be there for a while you can try all three shops. Neither of the three mentioned is crap. CD and Dive Inn have just been my faves. CD for the boat and DI for their helpfulness and cool people.

There is also an interesting outfit made up of Marine Biologists and Conservationists called CORE Sea. Their shop is also within a minute or two from Chaloklum Diving and the Dive Inn. They do some cool stuff around the area and know some dive sites off the beaten track.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Dove Sail Rock today with The Dive Inn. Crappy viz but happy times anyway. Their boat is quite good and lunch was great. Will keep going out with them for the rest of the week. Hoping for better viz. No bull sharks here this season but a whale shark is lurking around.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom