Diving Koh Lanta during the monsoon season? (August)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buford of Arabia

Registered
Reaction score
I've got a family trip to Koh Lanta tentatively planned for August. I'm trying to visualize just exactly what we're up against seeing that this will be the monsoon season. Just exactly what can I expect regarding rain? Is it possible that our entire 10 day trip will be nothing but rain? Or is it more of a rain every couple of days for a few hours at a time kind of thing? During a typical 10 day stretch of time in August could I expect 3-4 days of diving to be cancelled due to weather, or is it entirely possible that all 10 days will be a wash? I am thinking of booking in with Dive and Relax per tripadvisor recommendations.

Also, I'm curious about life topside. I know that many restaurants/activities close up during the green season. Will we find enough life to keep up entertained? I suppose if half of the shops/restaurants are closed I could deal with that, but if the whole place is an honorary ghost town I think I'd be disappointed. Does anyone have advice for Koh Lanta at this time of the year?

August isn't one of the worst months in terms of rain. You might even find that during the time you're on the island you get very little. But it *is* actually rainy season, so you might get somewhat more rain than you'd find ideal. It would be highly unlikely that all ten days of your trip would be soaking wet. What is more likely is that you'll encounter some showers that drench you, and then everything will dry up for the rest of the day. This might happen every few days, or a couple of days in a row, but probably not every day, and certainly not all day long, unless there's an unusual weather pattern such as a tropical storm system sitting over the area.

More and more businesses are staying open during the low season on Lanta, particularly since Thailand has enjoyed a very busy high season the past couple of years. I expect you'll enjoy your stay very much.

Yes, if you're really unlucky you have 10 days of rain, but this would be unusual for August. But could happen. More likely you'll have a few days of rain, a few nice and sunny days and a few sunny days with 1-2 rainshowers.

Lanta is not the busiest place in any season, and in August you do run the risk some places will be closed, including DC's. Also take into account that to get divetrips confirmed a certain number of people for that trip will be required, which will not always be easy on Lanta that time of year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom