Diving Ko Chang V Ko Tao?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rorydennehy

Reaction score
Plan on going to Ko Chang for three weeks in January. Did a few PADI courses in Ko Tao 4 years ago and needless to say really enjoyed experience but did find as many divers as marine life at popular spots.

Is the diving in Ko Chang as good but as crowded?
Are there any islands near Ko Chang, which would be worth diving?
Finally, with Cambodia so near, wondering is there any quality dive spots within a days drive from Thai border?
Girlfriend will be with me and she plans on doing an open water, any recommendations for schools?

No to forum and appreciate any feedback. Can't wait to go.

I've never dived Koh Chang, but I know a guy who worked there as an instructor for a while and he told me that the visibility there was usually fairy poor (maybe 12 meters on a good day). I've dived a lot of places where the viz was poor, and often greatly enjoyed the dives nevertheless. I know it's almost a cliche, but it's true that "what is important is not how far I can see, but what I can see" and if there's plenty of interesting marine life or a good wreck within 6 or 8 meters of me, I'm happy enough. Of course, if the viz is only 10 meters and that whale shark is 12 meters away, you'll never know it's there ... Viz at Koh Tao-area dive sites varies a lot, but is almost always better than 12 meters -- we had about 25 meters or more at White Rock and Twins yesterday, and 35 meters at Sail Rock today.

As for your girlfriend's course: A number of instructors in Phuket, here on Koh Samui, and elsewhere in Thailand like to bash the quality of open water diver courses on Koh Tao. From what I've seen, some of that criticism is justified - for some Koh Tao instructors, not as a generalization applying to every instructor on the island. Some of the comments that I've heard aren't really pertinent to whether the instruction is good: for example, an instructor smokes ganja with his students after the course is completed -- maybe that's not professional, but how does that relate to the quality of instruction before they get high? It doesn't. The most common criticism is that there is usually a high student-to-instructor ratio in Koh Tao OWD courses, so there's not much personal attention paid to each student and it's common for instructors rush their big groups of students through the skills exercises before the students have really mastered the skills. It should be easy enough to get around that problem: your girlfriend should insist, before paying for the full price of the course, upon a low student/instructor ratio (or even one-on-one instruction) and insist that she be given ample time to master the skills without being hurried. With all the competition on Koh Tao (something like 40 dive centers), she should be able to find someone willing to accommodate her.

Appreciate the feedback. Still researching but more inclined to head towards Ko Chang, as I have never been there and like what I read about surrouding islands. Although the relatively poor visibility you report is a definite negative.
thanks again

Koh Chang, great dive sites out here. Mostly shallow,but who cares.
Have a nice time over there.

Cheers

On Koh Chang now. Sooooo many dive shops, hard to differentiate!!

Any recommendations on shops or sites?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom