Diving Kingston Wrecks - Visibility?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver Rick

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Our Club was diving Kingston area back in mid-August and the viz was terrible. 5-10 feet at best on the Marsh, Munson, Aloha, and Wolfe Islander II. It was a shame too, because water temps were pretty comfortable.

It appeared to be some kind of algae bloom like I've never seen before.

I've since heard mixed opinions on whether or not it is clearing up as things cool down. One story was that charters were being cancelled because the algae was so bad that people were feeling irritation on exposed skin!

We're planning a charter (from Wolfe Island) in 2 weeks and wonder if anyone can update the conditions.

Thanks.....

Haven't been on the Wolfe lately, but dove the Munsen last Wednesday. It was blowing hard, surface current and bottom current flowing in opposite directions, and vis was about 6 feet with no light. With my can light (2800 lumens) I had good vis and no particulate in the water to spoil the beam pattern. We dove the Marsh at the and of August and didn't bother switching a light on. I could see across the entire width of the wreck..... Wolfe this time of year can be iffy last year awful and the year before was fine.

Back
Top Bottom