Diving Istanbul?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReadyTo Dive

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I will be in Istanbul for a few days this September and am wondering if there is any diving to be had? I’ve searched/read about Bodrum and several other areas that are a short flight away but what about diving in Istanbul itself?

TripAdvisor shows several general tour group operations and 1 dive center who’s last review was in 2017 so I am hoping someone here has more recent local knowledge and recommendations. Thank you!

If I'm not mistaken, they did open up some WWI wrecks off Gallipoli for diving. No experience with that myself, but it would be an interesting place to dive.

Bumping thread in case anyone else has recent Istanbul-area knowledge. TYIA.

Just returned from Istanbul - I found no diving to be had anywhere within the immediate area FYI.

The city itself however was *absolutely amazing*; I highly recommend a visit anytime the opportunity presents itself, we will definitely be back.

I worked in Istanbul temporarily long years ago and did dive as well in couple of occasions. Some local dive centers charter fisher boats or do dives with self organised boats. There are few islands in the marmara see nearby if you depart from district Uskudar. It is mostly green water diving but not too bad. Needless to say, not worth of wasting time if you have only limited time to visit the city. Most of the locals travel to northern aegean in the weekends for diving, that is warmer and bit better visibility. I think you did the right thing not bothering, there is much more to do in the city than trying to squeeze in few mediocre dives. This is basically how it looks like:

I've been to Istanbul 7 or 8 times and diving there has never entered my mind. It is a great place for a taste of Muslim culture and a treasure of Byzantine and Islamic art and architecture.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom