Diving Indonesia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Clive,

I understand your point of view, it is in no way unique. But I have another opinion.

First, I think a lot of the risks are exaggerated. A big city in Europe will put you in a lot more risk I believe, both from a terrorist angle and from the general crime scene angle.

Second, I'm prepared to take some risk, not too big of course, but it's not like you get instantly attacked and killed if you go to Indonesia!

I've been to places supposedly "dangerous" for western people and found nothing but lovely people and brilliant diving.

BTW. I have a 1 month old baby, so I wouldn't do anything I consider dangerous.

on the news tonight, the foreign office have advised UK nationals to return home and not to travel to Indonesia..

i bet if you went to their home page, it would express extreme caution in the other SE Asia/Far East countries and not to travel unless necessary.

The UK might be next, but that would be the worst thing they could do, I honestly believe there would be such a back lash of attacks, that the UK would possible come close to declaring a state of emergency.

after the 11/9 there were mosks attacked in the uk by people just looking to start a fight with non uk nationals, especially after they openly said on the news that it was a deserved attack, and UK residents (muslims) were willing to go to afghanistan and fight against us and the US.

there is definitely a feeling in the UK, that people are getting pissed off with the immigrants both legal and non coming in and getting everything handed to them on a plate and we have to pay for it in taxes.

lets hope it never happens!

I think there is a lot of media frenzy going on at the moment and if you were to look at credible threat assesment then SEA is still much safer than the UK (for example).

I have been living out of the UK for nearly 20 years, in some of the worlds REAL hotpots during strife and even wars (Iraq, Angola, Yugoslavia, Lebanon) I have now settled in SEA and thrown away my suitcase - in nearly 20 years of travelling I have only ever been attacked once - in Nottingham (UK) on holiday I was beaten up by two football supporters as I walked down the high street shopping bags in hand minding my own business.

As divers we follow a sport that teaches us to minimize risk but accept risk is part of what we do - I would not return to the UK, the risk from street crime is too high - it is too dangerous for me!

on the uk news tonight they advised against travelling to se asia:

Thailand
Laos
Cambodia
Vietnam
Indonsia
Malasia
Singapore

my wife is Thai, but that still doesn't mean we would be safe if we went.

Bali was Hindu, so what chance do we have in the rest of SE Asia where Islam is more common?

Hello there 8newk8,I hope you will make your trip to Indonesia.There are a lot of dive-operators in Menado my experience was with www.murexdive.com and it was a very relaxing expirience.I have family in Menado so I can give you a update about the situation there.Check out Lembeh-strait and discover the little critters for example the pigme-seahorse.If you want to start in Menado there is a strait flight Singapore>Menado.happy diving

Dear 8newk8
I have travelled extensively in Indonesia since 1980, what happened in Bali is very sad - but life does go on. If you want somewhere safe I can recommend Nusa Lembongan/Nusa Penida, the islands just east of Bali. The diving is fantastic, with Manta Rays, Oceanic Sunfish, beautiful unbleached reefs, fanatstic fish life, clear water. The island is accessed from Bali, I would recommend via "Bali Hai Cruises" they have a 30m luxury catamaran that leaves Benoa harbour each morning at 9.00am. The business is run by Australians who take safety very seriously. They also have accommodation on Nusa Lembongan, named Hai Tide Huts. I have stayed there half a dozen times over the last 2 years, (a week isn't long enough) See their website www.balihaicruises.com/
The islanders are all Hindu and som eodf the friendliest people I have met throughout Indonesia. The island is full of peace and tranquility. If anywhere in Indonesia was to be bombed again, this tiny island and its inhabitants would be the last place.
You'll see me their as soon as I get an opportunity.
Regards
Reefwalker

Dear 8newk8
I have travelled extensively in Indonesia since 1980, what happened in Bali is very sad - but life does go on. If you want somewhere safe I can recommend Nusa Lembongan/Nusa Penida, the islands just east of Bali. The diving is fantastic, with Manta Rays, Oceanic Sunfish, beautiful unbleached reefs, fanatstic fish life, clear water. The island is accessed from Bali, I would recommend via "Bali Hai Cruises" they have a 30m luxury catamaran that leaves Benoa harbour each morning at 9.00am. The business is run by Australians who take safety very seriously. They also have accommodation on Nusa Lembongan, named Hai Tide Huts. I have stayed there half a dozen times over the last 2 years, (a week isn't long enough) See their website www.balihaicruises.com/
The islanders are all Hindu and some of the friendliest people I have met throughout Indonesia. The island is full of peace and tranquility. If anywhere in Indonesia was to be bombed again, this tiny island and its inhabitants would be the last place.
You'll see me their as soon as I get an opportunity.
Regards
Reefwalker

I spent September and October diving in Indonesia; Bali, Gili Islands, Moyo Island, and Komodo National Park. Bali was fantastic; I just loved Tulumben and that whole area there. That's where I was when the bomb went off in Kuta, but we felt so far away; more likely to get killed driving or diving!

Komodo National Park is fabulous diving; I went with CN Dive and Oceanic; found them both very pleasant however I would say that you should check that the boat has some oxygen on it. If I was going again I'd go with a western outfit - but then I'd have to check that they knew the waters!

I definitely wouldn't dive in Indonesia with someone who hadn't A LOT of experience at the exact site! The currents around Indo are shockers! I dived at Amed and there was a strong current. There's a site in Padangbai called 'the toilet' and I'm REALLY GLAD I didn't dive that site. BTW I recommend Helena from Diving Groove in Padangbai.

Gili Islands were disappointing. Spend your money in Bali or at Komodo instead. However there's no beach at Labaunbajo on Flores but they make up for it by offering you boat trips to lovely islands for the day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom