Diving in Zanzibar

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jerome01

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Just wanted to post a short report about diving in Zanzibar.

I have been travelling for work in Tanzania and have managed to make it twice to Zanzibar. I am only travelling with my computer, log book and c-card, so I also got to test rental gear.

First dives were on North East Coast. Went to Mnemba Atoll with One Ocean from Matemwe beach (One Ocean :: The Zanzibar Dive Center). Equipment is brand new ScubaPro in top condition. 2 boat dives with full gear cost $95, and included a snack, but no water - bring plenty of your own! The guides are infact instructors, so that while they are very professional, they baby sit too much. Diving is fantastic, lots of micro to see, plus turtles rays and nice corals. Would definitely recommend going back

Got back a month later (last week) and found a place to stay on South East Coast in Paje (Paje by Night Hotel, Zanzibar: accommodation and lodging in bungalows) Place is amazing, very laid back, great hotel, fantastic people, great prices ($80 for a couple in a kingsize room).

First day went diving with a dive center in Bwejuu beach Rising Sun (Welcome to Rising Sun Online). This center is in one of the most expensive hotels in Zanzibar, Breezes which costs $450 per person per night, and the prices show this. $200 for 2 boat dives with full gear - no water and no snack! The gear is new (Free Shark) but not comfortable The diving was very good but nothing out of the ordinary. I will not go there again

Second and third days I dived with East Coast Divers (also called Paje Dive Center) Paje Dive Centre, Zanzibar- Tanzania 30 seconds walk from Paje By Night. The center is run by a Swedish lady, Lisa. Lisa is living the dream, started diving 3 years ago and this year quit her job in Microsoft to run the dive center, and her enthusiasm and love of diving shows. First day was just the two of us and we did two amazing one hour wall drift dives on the outside of the reef. The second day there were 4 other divers, and we dove in the Paje lagoon, saw about 20 blue spotted stingrays at Stingray City and some amazing corals. Second dive was outside the reef and we saw plenty of tuna, barracuda and trigger fish. Cost for 2 days of 2 tank boat diving with full gear was $180. The gear is well used but in good condition

Next month I will try to get to Pemba and Mafia.

Jerome Fink
PADI DM 983293

Thanks Jerome for the posting.
I hear what you say about some DMs / insructors babysitting too much, this can be particularly true in the resort areas, where many people may actually expect and need it. At One Ocean, Stonetown, a lot of regulars / expats dive, so you are being pampered and babysat a little less.
I have never dived in Paje or Bwejuu, but what you say about Paje (the dive shop and the dive sites) sounds great, so I guess next time I come to Zanzibar (March most likely) I will check them out.
If you go again, there are actually some good sites off Stonetown (the 40-metre-wreck, Pinnacles, and one whose name I cannot remember now), as well as off the north / north-west coast of Zanzibar. ScubaDo is a great diveshop in Kendwa; they can be a bit on the "babysitting side as well (a lot of people do their OWC with them), but usually won't if they see you can dive.
Let us know who you dived with in Pemba and how it was - I have found it a little difficult finding the "perfect" dive shop there.

HI. Just read your responses about Zanzibar and thought I would jump in the discussion. I thought I would introduce you( if you havn't already been) to the diving found in the Southwest corner of Tanzania: Mikindai (next to Mtwara). There is one dive shop called ECO2 dive, marine research and education centre. The shop does various various volunteer research projects in the near by marine park,in Mnazi Bay, which is Tanzania's newest marine reserve. As for diving, the shop dives primarily in Mikindani and Mtwara Bay and the coral reefs here are fantastic. Super healthy and full of marine life. This part of the coast has been very lucky, as that north of here in the Tanga area there has been a lot of dynamite fishing, consequently ruining the reef. But the reef outside Mikindani is essentially a virgin reef, vibrant colors and diverse coral species. It is full of deep-water pinnacles and channels, outer reef, spur and groove reef and patch reefs. It is common to see pelagics such as jacks, kingfish, giant trevally, schools of blackfin barracuda on a regular basis, as well as giant groupers and humphead wrasse, but also a lot of the macro crypic creatures as well. Also, a great benefit of the diving here, is that this is all explored in small groups, as that ECO2 does not take out more than 6 divers at a time....(esentially it is an anti- mass diving factory, a bit different than some shops in Zanzibar)

I think for me the appeal of this area is that it is off the beaten path. Mikindani town holds a lot of interresting history and cultural appeal, but due to access it hasn't been discovered by mass tourism. However, now with the new improved road from Dar es Salaam and daily flights between Dar and Mtwara it is easier to visit. There are different levels of accomodation in Mikindani. There is the old Boma which is pretty upper end (lovely but more expensive). Next to ECO2 there is 10 Degrees South Lodge, which provides both comfortable mid-range priced rooms and budget traveller rooms.

eco2 dive safaris southern tanzania

Cheers. Maybe see you guys here soon. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Sounds interesting, if I ever make it to the south I'll check it out. But are you sure you don't mean Southeast :)? In the Southwest you could probably dive in Lake Nyasa...

Thanks for posting these reports. Zanzibar has been a dive destination of interest for several years. I hope to get there some day!

I have an opportunity to go there in Oct - thanks for all of the info !!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom