Diving in Victoria, BC, Canada.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jaygreene24

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey everyone, I'm looking to get back into diving after being away for a couple years. Just relocated to Victoria, BC and I'm told there is some pretty decent shore dive sites. I'm currently looking for work so I have plenty of time in between interviews and such to get back in the water.

My bio: I've been cold water diving since 2003 mostly in Ontario, (tobermory/lake Ontario/Erie). I'm advanced open water, Nitrox, and dive single tank. I converted to a drysuit a couple years back as well.

I'm looking for reliable dive buddies and preferrably someone with experience in the local area.

Also any advice on a redundant air source, ie. Pony bottle would also be great. I use to dive with a 40 but found it to be a pain to sling. Thinking about a 19 but not sure it would be much easier.

Cheers!

Jason

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Frank whites does free guided dives on Saturdays, will pair u up then. Good way to learn all the sites and make some buddies!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added February 26th, 2014 at 02:35 PM ----------

Read up on rock bottom gas planning and it'll give you some info. If you have any questions about Vic or diving just ask. Cheers.

Hey decompression, Thanks! I joined their facebook group awhile back but was the only one joining the dive list for Saturday's. Not sure if its because of winter but I figure with the mild climate and I'm sure the ocean doesn't warm up all that much in the summer that people dive all year round. Also looking to dive mid week. Might try just showing up on Saturday in case some don't use FB.

---------- Post added February 26th, 2014 at 05:51 PM ----------

Will also check out rock bottom planning, Thanks! Part of the reason I'm considering redundant is for travel as well. I've been paired with many different people on dive trips and either language barrier or the distraction of a camera have left me feeling a little unprotected in the buddy area. Wish they made a bigger "Spare Air". Seems perfect for travel but not practical below 60'.

That's one of the reasons I dive side mount when I travel. 2 AL80s gives me tons of gas.

Wish they made a bigger "Spare Air". Seems perfect for travel but not practical below 60'.

My 19 cuft pony is one of the best dive buddies I've had. I sling it and its easy to forget its even there.

I had no idea side mount was an option. Just started researching and it looks awesome. Can you share the type of gear you're using? Is it "off the shelf" or custom? Do you recommend the PADI course for it as well? Any definite disadvantages to the setup? I love the idea of having a redundant supply and full visual access to the valves for leaks or free flow control etc. Plus nicely streamlined. Cost might be the only factor for me right now though. The 19 cuft pony might be in the budget but I don't know about a new BCD, reg and course....hmmm. Is it possible to use the side mount and only one 80? Or would you be swimming in circles? :p

---------- Post added February 26th, 2014 at 06:44 PM ----------

My 19 cuft pony is one of the best dive buddies I've had. I sling it and its easy to forget its even there.

Thanks John! Do you take it with you on trips to the south? Would have to get it reinspected etc when you get there?

Years ago I was diving in dependant side mount, which is a first and second stage reg on each tank. Now I have a Z system by unified team diving. It is easy to use with one tank or two. I teach the padi side mount and will be teaching the UTD course soon. I show lots of systems and styles.

Years ago I was diving in dependant side mount, which is a first and second stage reg on each tank. Now I have a Z system by unified team diving. It is easy to use with one tank or two. I teach the padi side mount and will be teaching the UTD course soon. I show lots of systems and styles.

Are the tanks both independent or bridged like a manifold setup? Where does octo go? Would like to get an idea of cost and would probably join the course as well. Are you independent or with a local shop?

Thanks John! Do you take it with you on trips to the south? Would have to get it reinspected etc when you get there?

Remove the valve, put a piece of tape over the hole to keep the bugs and crap out and pack it in your luggage. As long as it is in visual, the resort dive shop will fill it (I always email ahead and ask though)

I had no idea side mount was an option. Just started researching and it looks awesome. Can you share the type of gear you're using? Is it "off the shelf" or custom? Do you recommend the PADI course for it as well? Any definite disadvantages to the setup? I love the idea of having a redundant supply and full visual access to the valves for leaks or free flow control etc. Plus nicely streamlined. Cost might be the only factor for me right now though. The 19 cuft pony might be in the budget but I don't know about a new BCD, reg and course....hmmm. Is it possible to use the side mount and only one 80? Or would you be swimming in circles? :p

Just started with the sidemount this summer.

I converted my backplate/wing (Oxycheq) with the OMS profile sidemount adaptor.
It is functional and you can easily convert back to a BP/W configuration if you need too.

Since the two pieces are from different manufacturers, they do not match perfectly, extra straps hanging off, etc...not a problem for most open water dives.

You can find the OMS profile adapator for around $75 USD sometimes, plus shipping.

I have used it with both Al80's and Steel 100's.

I decided to stay mostly with sidemount - so broke down and purchased a dedicated sidemount BCD system last month.

I do recommend a sidemount course - it shaves off a lot of tinkering time and you pick up some great tips if you have the right instructor.

Pick an instructor that has been using sidemount for a while - the new PADI course is only a year old now, so some instructors are also very new to sidemount.

SDI/TDI runs a sidemount course as well.

My instructor is cave certified and has been using sidemount for years.

You can sidemount with only one tank. I hope to get more experience this summer with this method.

The only disadvantages I can think of -

Slightly more equipment.
Slightly longer set up time on shore, which like anything else becomes quicker with practice.

I have not tried diving off a boat with sidemount yet.

Andy Davis has an great website blogging about sidemount.

Cheers!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom