Diving in Tulum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trista

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
We are considering changing our hotel to Dreams Tulum. Does anyone know what diving is like there or in the area?

Lots of spur & groove, plenty of nice shallow sites as well as deeper ones if you want. Lots of turtles & the usual tropical mob...
Very enjoyable.
Rick

daniel f aleman:
Some of the best diving on the planet. Really.

This is just NOT true. I live and dive out of Playa del Carmen, and have taken guest diving around Tulum. The dives were somewhat shallow and the visibitly was not that great, like less than 30 feet. World-class diving here is in places like Cozumel and Chinchorros Banks near the Belize border....a real journey to get to. We have some great diving here in Playa....may not be world class standards but definitely has really good visibilty and the animal life if crazy!:D

PlayaCountryBoy:
This is just NOT true. I live and dive out of Playa del Carmen, and have taken guest diving around Tulum. The dives were somewhat shallow and the visibitly was not that great, like less than 30 feet. World-class diving here is in places like Cozumel and Chinchorros Banks near the Belize border....a real journey to get to. We have some great diving here in Playa....may not be world class standards but definitely has really good visibilty and the animal life if crazy!:D
i agree. ocean divng around tulum is disappointing.

I just got back from Dreams Tulum in late July, the local on site dive shop Maya Diving was decent. The ocean diving was very average, we went straight out in front of the resort and dove a couple reefs in 40ft of water. 45 min dive, came up with half a tank of air...I wouldnt waste the money on the ocean diving.....I actually cancelled some additional ocean dives, and I never do that.

However, diving in the Cenote (Dos Ojos) was one of the coolest things I have ever done. The visibility was unreal, the features were cool....cant really put into works how awesome the cenote diving is....its a little more expensive than the ocean diving, but well worth price. Its a must dive.

Overall, Dreams Tulum was nice...we had some room service issues with the cleaning staff...and definetly take some bug spray.

docmartin:
i agree. ocean divng around tulum is disappointing.
JJM1631:
I wouldnt waste the money on the ocean diving.
Hmmm... interesting... personally, I find lots of fascinating and enjoyable, wonderful critters & stuff every time I dive around there. Lots.
Perhaps I'm easily amused... or, perhaps... it's a perceptual thingie.
Rick

I agree I dove horshoe reef near tulum/akumal and wasn't impressed, now in front of Cozumel there are better reefs. But the snorkeling in front of akumal is outstanding! Turtles, stingray, wall of fish etc...and free if you bring your own gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom