Question Diving in the USVI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wlecyt40

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am doing some research into diving in and around the US Virgin Islands. I have looked at several DO's and some places to stay but would like recommendations. What would the members of ScubaBoard recommend for a DO on either one of the islands? What about places to stay? Should we dive nitrox or air? Thanks in advance!!

St. Croix Research Report Aug. 2017 - Trip Report - St. Croix Research Report Aug. 2017 A lot has changed topside (e.g.: who provides shore diving services at Cane Bay, N2TheBlue came under new ownership and got a name change), but it should still give you an overall feel for it. When I dove 4 dives/day, I sometimes had to watch the NDL on dive #4; if you're not doing 4 dives/day, I doubt you need nitrox. I was happy with St. Croix Ultimate Blue Water Adventure, but had an exceptionally good experience with Sweet Bottom Dive Center as a shore diving services provider at Davis Bay.

St. Thomas is a more heavily visited cruise port, a big Caribbean shopping center, has a lot of topside excursions, and seems to be one of those destinations often dove when someone is stopping there on a cruise (as I've done twice). Diving I did was somewhat shallow - I see no need for nitrox. Wife and I liked Admiralty Dive Center just fine.

St. John doesn't seem to attract dive trips as much, though it's got beautiful beach and the snorkeling has been praised.

I was in St. Croix last month. Dove with SCUBA at both east and west sides, they're good. Spent a day snorkeling Buck Island, fantastic.

The bad: Flights getting to and from the USVI. The number of people stranded in San Juan and St. Thomas was astonishing. We ended up chartering a plane to get out of san juan on arrival, and we had to spend an extra day in St Thomas on return. Our "replacement" flight was actually 3 days later! The family we split the charter with had been stuck in San Juan for 3 days. Steer clear of Jet Blue at all costs. They treat their employees about as well as they treat their passengers.

I'd recommend Redhook Dive Center and Coki Dive Center on St. Thomas. SCUBA and Sweet Bottom Dive Center on St. Croix. And, Low Key Dive Shop and Busy Bee Charters on St. John.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom