Diving in the south pacific from Australia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SayNo2Snow

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi everyone - hubby and I are planning a 4 - 6 week trip to Australia (April to early May) for general sight seeing and diving of course. We wondered what great (and economical) dive destinations can be easily accessed from Australia. I was thinking to take a week to 10 days to explore 1 or 2 other great places since were coming a long way. I saw flights from SYD to ROR were obscenely expensive. In general we would prefer a land based destination but a liveaboard for a few days isn't out of the question. We generally do 2 dives a day then explore what the destination has to offer topside.
Are there any gems you would recommend?

Thanks a bunch for any recommendations.
Cheers!
Ann

Why not dive in Australia only, it has an extremely wide range from temperate to tropical. 4-6 weeks is barely enough to see it all

Sites to dive

Great barrier reef Mike ball liveaboard QLD

SS Yongala QLD

Lady Elliott Island QLD

Wolf rock QLD

Julian Rocks NSW

Solitary Islands NSW

Fish Rock NSW

Montague Island NSW

Blairgowrie Pier VIC

Rapid bay jetty SA

Edithburgh Jetty SA

Cage dive with great white sharks at Port Lincoln

Now that is an epic trip.

If not I would recommend Bali or Fiji as both are easily accessed from Australia

Bali I would do Nusa lembongan, Padang bai and Tulumben.
Fiji I would do Voli voli or Taveuni

Thanks Chris for the dive site recommendations!! ... and we absolutely will be diving Australia!

I was just thinking seeing as we are coming from so far (Western Canada) and not knowing when we'd be able to come back we would take advantage of being closer to other South Pacific destinations at hopefully an economical side trip. But perhaps those other destinations will have to wait for another time.

Cheers!

I'm discovering no where is cheap to fly to... I think we're just going to follow Chris' recommendation and just dive Australia

SS President Coolidge in Vanuatu. Flights Brisbane - Santo return from $550, depending on when of course.

I'm discovering no where is cheap to fly to... I think we're just going to follow Chris' recommendation and just dive Australia

This is personally what I would do, the diving Australia has to offer is as good if not better than most of the pacific.

Why not dive in Australia only, it has an extremely wide range from temperate to tropical. 4-6 weeks is barely enough to see it all

Sites to dive

Hi Chris

I would suggest the addition of the following two entry-level sites (from the South East of South Australia) to your list:

• Ewens Ponds
  • Kilsbys Sinkhole

P.S. Port Lincoln is not the site for shark cage dives, but rather the departure point for all three charter operations licensed to provide the service.

5D11A338-2314-4B89-BA03-DC5A04BC0270.jpeg
44C9737B-ED00-417E-BA92-A71AD166D578.jpeg
051B04BB-F133-4214-A8FB-920990B4BEF8.jpeg
8BEBF9D5-1574-4E15-B249-3C54B7208397.jpeg
  • Ewens Ponds
  • Kilsbys Sinkhole

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom