Diving in the Phillipines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

h3o

Reaction score
I'll be in the Phillipines for 1 week in June and have very little idea of the diving there. I was thinking of staying in Manila for a day or two, maybe going to Palawan for a few dives, then going up north to Banaue to check out the famous thousand year old rice patties.

How far is Palawan from Manila? Whats the best way to get there? How much does it cost?

Any other suggestions as to what to do in the P.I. ?

Dove in Moalboal a few times but not Puerto Gallera.

They are both great diving destinations though, according to divers and magazines.

Puerto Gallera is closer to Manila so if you are only staying a week this would be a good choice. Search it on the net and youll find a lot.

Anilao is a second option that is even closer than Puerto Gallera. Check that one as well.

Hey h3o,

You've got quite a nice lineup of diving for next summer! Palau and the Philippines.....maybe more??
I've dived in the south on Negros Island, though not Dumagette or Apo, unfortunately. Very nice where I was, Danjugan Island, though you'd need lots of $$ to go there since it's now a high-end eco-tourist kinda place. I also did lots of diving in Anilao and found most of it to be quite excellent!
One of the things I really wanted to do while I was in the country was get to the rice terraces. Instead I ended up in Palau! Hey, no complaints, but I'd definitely still very much like to get to Banaue. Once again I'm jealous. :-( But I'm sure it will be an awesome trip!
FYI, if you ever find yourself in Bacolod City, on Negros, there's a really nice museum there.
Have a ball.
Beck

I was not going to reply to this as I assumed that somebody more knowledgable would give more info on Palawan.
A few years back I went to Palawan by ferry from Manila (to Puerta Princessa). Then I went to El Nido and went diving and then to Coron and went diving. After that I took a ferry from Coron (Busuanga) to Manila. El Nido diving did not appeal to me. They told me that El Nino or La Nina had ruined the coral. Coron, on the other hand, was full of Japanese wrecks from WWII and several other wrecks, as well as Barracuda Lake. I loved the diving! I believe that airfare from Manila is not expensive, although the plane is small. I really have no details, other than that I stayed at Coron Reef Guest House and was diving with Pearly Shell Dive Ventures (not the biggest shop in town but a great atmosphere + a helpful and skillful instructor/divemaster).
I think that you should keep your plan, just research a little where to go on Palawan first. I have heard that other good divesites are there, but I did not know enough to find out then.

D.

Hey Beck,

Yeah, I'm actually going to Australia to live for a few months, but I'm stopping in Guam to visit family. I figured I could take a different route this time from San Francisco to Guam... I'm going to go from here to Manila first and stay there for a week. Continental has a flight to Guam that leaves Manila but stops in Yap and Palau before ending in Guam so I'd thought I'd take advantage and stay in Palau for about a week…

Then, after diving a little in Guam, I'm on my way to dive the Coral Sea and the GBR again! And the best thing of all, the whole flight only costs about $150 more than my usual flight to Guam!

=)

Busuanga, which is the northern most island in Palawan is ~1:15hr by plane from Manila (domestic airport!!!!!). This gets you to the diving for Coron bay. As dyvermite says, it is great diving (better for wrecks than sea life). The cost is not too bad, return flight from Manila was 4000 pesos (we went this year).

Two airlines do the trip, SEAir and Asian Spirit, both have websites, and you can sort of book via email.

Sad to say though, there are not many dive operators left, only 2 at the last count

Any of you Philippine divers been to Sulu?? more specifically Bangas? I imagine the diving there to be very virgin since i have yet to come across a diver who has been there. If you have been there, let me know!!!

Plenty of wrecks in Coron Bay, and some of the reefs are pretty good.

However the increase of pearl farms in the bay is supposedly causing poor visibility. When I was there nearly 2 years ago vis was only 10m at times. But this is better than I get for my normal diving, so it was still good.

Barracuda Lake is quite something, a layer of cold fresh water over hot salty water.

Adrian

This would not be recommended for a tourist to be diving in Sulu, security reasons. Sorry to all my compatriots but i have to state this fact.

:eek:(

IzzyTahil:
Any of you Philippine divers been to Sulu?? more specifically Bangas? I imagine the diving there to be very virgin since i have yet to come across a diver who has been there. If you have been there, let me know!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom