Diving in the Mayan Riviera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SchoonCR

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi. New poster here, and I want to say I love reading everything you all have had to say. Just certified less than a month ago, and have the "itch" already.

We are traveling to the Mayan Riviera in Mexico in December this year. We are VERY MUCH wanting to dive 4-5 days of our 7 day trip. However, we are traveling with a couple that is not interesting in going to Cozumel (we are ok with passing on Coz this trip, as we know we are going in 2004).

I know Coz is the place to go for the best diving. However, does that mean the diving and the waters along the rest of the strip are bad? Have not seen much written about it, other than to say your better off in Coz.

We are looking at places from PLaya del Carmen, all the way to Talum, and will more than likely split the difference by going around/near Puerto Aventuras (Aventura Spa Palace possibly).

Anything anyone can tell me would be much appreciated... Advice, links, or a heads up in the right direction.

Thanks all!

Schoon

As a recently certified diver, I travelled in the Yucatan with my husband, a diver with 20 years experience, in the spring of 2002.

Our favourite shop was Mystic Diving, in Puerto Morelos. The equipment and boat were in excellent shape, and the service was good. I liked the Divemaster, Oswaldo,who was very interested in many of the small things we saw - garden eels, arrow crabs, flamingo tongue. Big things, too - eagle rays, morays, lobsters, sailfish, turtles. Two sites, Octopus Garden, at 40 feet (sorry, no octopi) and Minesweeper, at 90 feet, really stood out. The co-owner, Marylou made a good video for us.

In Tulum we dove Gran Cenote with Dave from Cenote Dive. He's since gone back to England, but the shop had good equipment and the cenote was beautiful.

Have a great trip.

I've been to Cozumel once but Playa area three times. If you love to dive, the sea is great, but do some cenote diving in the Mayan Riviera.
I dove off Puerto Morelos and Tulum and the reef looked abit fished out.

Especially in December, the offshore weather can be iffy. Why not take advantage of the world class cenote (underground spring) diving along Highway 307 from Cancun down to Tulum? You are not qualified to go into a cave but you can do a cavern guided dive in the cenote with a qualified cave diving Instructor. They are great! Really beautiful. Go to Aquanauts in Puerto Aventuras and line it up. Or go down to Achtung Divers father south. You could dive every day and do a different cenote.

Sorry, make that Aktun Divers http://www.aktundive.com

Must have been thinking about a German friend. There are alot of scuba dive operators from full fledged operations to huts where you have to wade out in your gear to a panga (fiberglass launch with no head, O2 or anything else)). Be careful and get one a shop that looks reputable.

the first part of July. It was my first time there. It won't be my last! I did my cavern course with Bahia Divers. It is a great shop. My fiance' and I dove with them one morning just a 1 tank reef dive. Nothing bad to say about them. I did not even consider diving with the folks at my hotel. PM me if you need more info.

And here is the other one
http://www.aquanauts-online.com/cavecavern.htm

Of course you will have a totally different experience in Cozumel with the drift diving. But remember, the ferry across from Playa to Coz is very quick and nice so you can enjoy both diving experiences if you wish. Enjoy!

I did my Open Water in Playa Del Carmen, Barrakuda Scuba. The Diving is OK, If it's your first you'll love it. I would try, if I was you to spend one day over at Cozumel, you can take a daily ferry from Playa and spend the day at any of several dive shops, best of both worlds. Playa Del Carmen is definitely more laid back, too laid back for me. there's not much to do except the excursions that the resorts offer, which are overpriced and sometimes lame. There's nowhere to eat too, and the all-inclusive resort food is pretty bland and uninteresting. Don't get me wrong, we had a good time, I just wouldn't purposely go there again, unless I just got a deal I couldn't pass up. Have fun:D

Ya know. . . I've bit my tongue and opened and closed this post several times. I don't want to start a Cozumel vs. Mayan Riviera feud. That's not my intention. I think that Cozumel offers some of the worlds best diving and deservedly so gets a lot of fame. However, its neighbors on the mainland do not get the recognizition they deserve. Some of the posts I have seen on this board "knocking" the Mayan Riviera area is just plain wrong.

I think the best way to put it is:

Both areas have a lot to offer.

Both areas are very beutiful.

Both areas offer different diving.

Both areas have both good & bad dive operations, hotels and restaurants.

Why not spend a couple days at both locations and make your own decision on what is right for you.

Did my first ocean dives there last year with a dive shop there. (Cannot remember the name of it, but there's only two, and it's the one right next to the grocery store and Lol Ha bar there...) Had a GREAT time and saw lots of interesting things. MANY MANY turtles, (Akumal is Mayan for "Place of the Turtles")...My Hubby saw just as many turtles snorkeling out in the main bay as we did diving...plus it's in a great location to go do other things. (Coba was only about a 40 minute or so drive from there, Tulum about 15 mins.)
There were PLENTY of Barracuda, a couple reef sharks, rays, garden eels, the fish were INCREDIBLE....had lots of fun "playing" with the Damsels. (Tee hee...they're SO territorial! Cracked me up, brave little fish.)
About the ONLY thing I would knock that dive shop for is the fact that the DM didn't let us sit back and enjoy what we were looking at for very long, but my sister and I said something about it and the next dives we were able to kick back and watch out for the smaller forms of life on the reef. (It's AMAZING how it pops to life once you get the chance to hang for a few minutes and watch it!) Seeing large rays and turtles and all were really nice, but I'm one of those people who also enjoy the smaller details of everything.
I would also have to say I'd agree with getting a guided tour of Grand Cenote down the 307 there. Haven't done it yet, but we will be when we head down there next month ourselves. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom