Diving in the Gulf of Thailand in September

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

msnunn

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi everyone,

I'm interested in doing some dives of Koh Phangan in early september (sept 2 - 5), specifically, I was looking into the 3 Pinnacle dives north of Koh Phangan and the marine park in the same area.

However, I was wondering what kind of conditions I should expect. I can only do one dive trip (I'm living in Singapore for 3 months) and want to make sure I am going to the right places during the right time of the year.

If anyone can offer any advice, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Steve

September should be fine. The good conditions that usually prevail in August tend to carry over to September and weather and dive conditions should be very good. Whalesharks are also regularily spotted in September around the deeper sites like Sail Rock, South West Pinnacle and Chumpon Pinnacle.

If you're more into coral diving, than the Angthonh Marina Park dive is your choice but you can't dive both sites on a regular trip in one day.

Enjoy your trip.

Can I just ask why Phangan?

The majority of the dive sites are at Koh Tao...and you will have a long transit every day to reach them. Why not just base yourself on Tao in the first place?

Why Phngan? Well, I figure if I'm going to get some quality diving in and I can't fly within 24 hours of diving, I may as well through a full moon party in the mix!

I'm still somewhat debating whether to go to Koh Phangan or the Gili Islands... I think Koh Phangan will end up being cheaper in the long run though.

You could always spend one night on Koh Phangan for the full moon party and stay on Tao the rest of your time. Ferry will get your around, so no fly issue should not be a factor. You can stay pretty cheaply and as Devon wrote you would be closer to the dive sites. If you need to take a course such as AOW you can generally get a very sweet deal. No air con just fan will be cheap as chips. Such choices...

Hmmm, I may have to look into that.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

I take it that you're thinking of Thailand as much for the full moon party as for the diving. At this time of year and with those goals, the Gulf is the place to be. The weather should still be good in early September.

And as you're in Singapore for three months, I imagine you've dived the nearer places to there that you can reach by road and ferry such as Tioman, Aur, Tenggol? September is still a good time for those places for a quick weekend away.

In addition, if it were me in Singapore in September and willing to fly to a dive destination, I would go to Nusa Lembongan off Bali to dive with the mola molas. They are only there for a limited time each year, and September is within that time frame. On the other hand, there's no partying there....

You'll probably be happy whatever you choose. It's all tropical, after all.

Having said that, Devon and others bring up a good point. When Sail Rock is too choppy to dive, and depending on which shop you're at, many of the dives are on Tao regardless. You can always go there, take the party boat to the FM party and be back the next day. Believe me, it's down to a science now.

Do some research, and enjoy!

Given the original request about diving the gulf of Thailand.

Must say I am pleased to see up to now, no one has recommended you visit Pattaya.

Can I just ask why Phangan?

The majority of the dive sites are at Koh Tao...and you will have a long transit every day to reach them. Why not just base yourself on Tao in the first place?

Answering the question...?! So according to you the Marine Park is closer to Koh Tao as to Koh Phangan???? And concerning the 3 pinnacles - Chumpon and South West are for sure closer to Tao but what about Sail Rock? I'm sure that's closer to Phangan! Maybe have a look at a map and see what the distances are for real. Sure Koh Tao has more dive sites....but how often you dive anywhere different than White Rock, Twins, Japanese Gardens and Mango Bay???? What dive shop on Koh Tao offers the 3 pinnacles trips? How often do Koh Tao shops make it out to the Marine Park?

Yes, shops from Koh Phangan have normally longer boat journeys but the advantage of this is that they mostly have the dive sites to themselves and only dive the best sites available......when can you say that when diving from Koh Tao? How many boats normally end up on one site?

And if you come here for a short break, would you wanna spend a lot of your time on traveling in between the islands? Maybe it's nicer to stay in one place and enjoy all the things you want to do.....without ferry rides and finding new accommodation!

Back
Top Bottom