Diving in the Glaveston, Texas area?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

isp475

Reaction score
I might be in the Glaveston, TX area in Feb 04 and was wondering if anyone can tell me about the diving in the area and recommend the best spots, dive shops, etc? Thanks for any help you may be able to provide.

Tim

I can't seem to spell anything right today. I meant Galveston, TX. I am sure you all figured that though.

I am anything but an expert, but you've got to travel several miles off shore to reach any blue water. Oil platform diving, by boat, is just about your only option for Galveston, I think. The Flower Gardens are close, but not considered the Galveston area.

Hi. Tim....

I don't want to bust your bubble, but....... Feb is one of the nastiest months, if not the nastiest, for weather at Galveston. It can be really wet, windy and cold. At that time of year the surf water temp is around 50f. If you just have to get wet, you could try Offatt's Bayou. It is a protected area on the leeward side of the island, easily reached by car with easy entry. Vis will probably be 5-10 feet that time of year. The water temp may be a little warmer (less Movement and a little deeper than the surf area) If you like to eat stone crab claws there are some nice ones in Offatts.

Two other suggestions: Check out the Texas Swamp Divers Team site on this board. Maybe you can hook up with someone around the Houston/Galveston area that is making a dive while you plan to be in the area. Next, check with some of the LDS's and see if they have a flower gargen trip then. Also there is a lot of organized lake diving being done by different groups.
good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom