Diving in the Galapagos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

redbonedn

Registered
Reaction score
I would like to know if anyone can give me any information on diving in the Galapagos. I’m thinking of going on a live aboard and would like to hear how some of your dive trips went. I would also like to know who you dove with and if it was very pricy or not. If anyone has any advice I would love to hear it

My instructor went a couple of years ago on a liveaboard (Peter Hughes?). She says it will spoil you for life for diving anywhere else, nothing else measures up as far as marine life goes.
Ber :lilbunny:

There is a whole lot of information available here with a quick search.

Pricey? On a liveaboard? 600 miles East of the mainland of South America?

You bet.

Worth it? Equally so.

Hey RoatanMan,

Great info on Land Based versus Live-a-board. Here are two questions.

Diving land based were there sites that you were not able to dive that live-a-board dived? (Other than Darwin and Wolf?).

If you were doing a week of land based what would you say about going to Darwin and Wolf?

I like the idea of diving mornings and exploring afternoons with a land based but would be willing spend the time seeing Darwin and Wolf as well.

Scared Silly:
Hey RoatanMan,

Great info on Land Based versus Live-a-board. Here are two questions.

Oh? So you found our website about land based "Galloping Pogos" http://www.geocities.com/johnofrancis/galapagos.htm

Diving land based were there sites that you were not able to dive that live-a-board dived? (Other than Darwin and Wolf?).

Sure, the liveaboards offer more mobility. Did I miss seeing anything on my more recent land-based trips that I saw on previous liveaboards? No.

Liveaboards offer a greater quantity of diving. After many trips there I realized that the wonders of the shore excusrions must be savored as well. Kind of like going to New Zealand and just to snow ski. Man, what a waste.

If you were doing a week of land based what would you say about going to Darwin and Wolf?

That is really only offered on a weeklong trip- the passage there and back with diving eats up three+ days.

I like the idea of diving mornings and exploring afternoons with a land based but would be willing spend the time seeing Darwin and Wolf as well.

You can't really have it both ways.

I went a couple of years ago on a liveaboard called MY Daphne for a 12-day trip. This is one of the more "affordable" boats, but with great service.

My advice would be to make sure you get a boat that will take you to the far northern sites like Darwin's Arch and Wolf Island. Also try to get to Roca Redonda, Fernandina and the other sites around western side of the active volcano on Isabela. It's a rush to dive into the fumeroles, for example, and you certainly don't want to miss the red-lipped batfish at Taugus Cove (Isabela).

Certainly one of the world's best places to dive! Worth every penny! You have to feel comfortable with currents and with your own diving skills.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom