Diving in the Dominican / Punta Cana / Bayahibe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Toadie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So I'm back....

On Saturday I returned from the Dominican Republic and I'm pleased to say that the diving was pretty good. Now I've been there before and I had remembered it fondly. I was also shocked to see that many of the posts on here basically tell you that the Dominican doesn't have anything to offer. In any case, if you're planning on going to the Dominican you'll find the information in this post valuable. If you've have recently been, please chime in and share your experience.

Ok, so I'm heading down to the DR for a friends wedding and I come here to see what there is in Punta Cana. Sadly I find that the diving won't be very good so I take it upon myself to find the best dive sites and work with several dive shops.

My preliminary dealings with the dive shops resulted in the following...

The resort I was staying with in Punta Cana has Scuba Caribe and would not go anywhere other than Punta Cana, so they kicked themselves out automatically.

Scuba Caribe in Bayahibe had planned dives for the week and I could tag along, so that ended that.

Dressel Divers had the dive excursions I wanted and they were out of Bayahibe but they would only do certain excursions on certain days and you basically fit into their frame work or you don't go. Since I was at the mercy of the wedding party that didn't work for me.

Scuba Fun out of Bayahibe responded to all of my emails once I called them and found out the details (They were in the process of establishing new management) and were great to work with. I can honestly say that Scuba Fun let me build the trip that I wanted and gave me the best diving the Dominican has to offer.

On top of that, they worked with me (a little bit) on price but they were cheaper than every other shop and I felt that the service was better than the bigger shops.

Now you need to remember that when you go to the Dominican your schedules are typically within 60 minutes... so that mean that if you need to be there at 8:30 am, you'll probably leave for diving around 9:30 and if you are cabbing it, you should tell your cabby to pick you up 60 minutes after the dive shop tells you that you'll be there. Remember... you're on vacation, you're in the Dominican, and most of all... You're diving.

On with the report...

Day 1 - I arranged transportation on my on and I decided to take a taxi every day from Punta Cana to Bayahibe due to the over whelming response from our tour operator, the hotel, and the dive shop not to drive. It took about 15 minutes in the taxi before I realized that it wasn't a conspiracy... you really don't want to drive there. So, for 140 US each day I with the help of Scuba Fun arranged a taxi. Now this is a pretty important point. John (the owner of Scuba Fun) helped me out greatly with the taxi negotiation and I believe he saved me a total of 90 bucks. Yes, the taxi is expensive but remember I'm driving 180 kms per day in a taxi.... so while it's tough to swallow the fee, 140 is a good deal. My thanks to John on this one. Needless to say, my party is picked up at 6:30 am each day, taken to Bayahibe, and taken back to the resort after diving. Money well spent.

The first day we dive the St. George and multiple reefs. Good wreck, about 96 ft average and the visability was excellent. There wasn't a lot of fish life but the wreck was nice, minor penetrations. The reefs had some nice surprises, smaller fish, eel, etc

Day two we head out to Catalina for the wall and the aquarium. Much better plant and coral life, and in general more sea life. Our third dive was on Dominicus reef where we came across a massive rock lobster, and several eels.

Day three we headed out to shark point, catalinita, and Sanoa. The first dive we saw the biggest sting ray I've ever seen (body was about 3 to 4 feet wide) and a nurse shark. Sanoa had a decent lunch, excellent beach and on the way back we hit a star fish field, and the Penon dive site. Much better life at this site, multiple eels, eagle ray, crabs, fish, etc. To cap it all off we did a night dive along Bayahibe and saw some great fish.

Now I am skimping on some of the details but here's the gist for you. The Dominican is not known for "big fish" but if you look, you will see some great life. I can honestly say that I had a great dive trip and each day only got better. More importantly the staff at Scuba Fun were friendly and great to work with.

The process started with Corina who speaks 6 languages (I'm in awe of her) and she helped me coordinate everything from Colorado. Everything went smoothly.

From there I met with the guides/instructors/dm's and I feel like an *** because I can't remember the two Dominican guides but they were all very good and Ann and Cedric really made the trip enjoyable.

The boat operators didn't really speak much english but Johnny cracked me up and seemed to be having a good time because he spends most of it singing.... I'm not sure to who.

John the owner of the shop was great to deal with and helped put an American spin on the Dominican life.

All in all the diving was great, the staff were great, and the shop I chose to deal with I think made all the difference in the world.

If you want my opinion, when you're in the Dominican look up Scuba Fun if you want a flawless dive trip.

www.scubafun.info

By the way, I paid for all my dives, I just believe in promoting good service. If you would like more specific information about which reefs, what I saw, etc, feel free to ask or pm me.

Vince

Vince,

I Appreciate the info as we head out on Feb 4th. Have been in communication with Scuba Fun and will probably drive to Bayahibe for 2 days of diving. Will dive with our resort for the other days.

We already rented a car.. so you must enlighten me on the drive from Punta Cana to Bayahibe (I have heard about the potholes, animals, etc..) but you have piqued my curiosity.. We will be using the car all week so.. just makes sense? No?!? How far is the drive? How long did it take?

Glad you had a good time...

CountryBoy,

When you get back give us your views too. A few of us are taking off to go see John at Scuba Fun at the end of Feb.

Have fun

CB

Will do..

But from I have been reading.. the "Diving" should be good to great.. The "Driving" will be the real experience...

Hey Country,

Sorry for the delay but I've been pretty busy. The distance is 90KM and in the morning (we left at 6:30) should take you 90 or less minutes and the drive back to Punta Can if you leave from 4 -6 will take you about 120 mins.

Pay attention to the signs, learn where your bright switch is, and remember that the drivers pay attention but they're aggressive. They will swerve around potholes, etc but they aren't looking to run into you :D

Hey Toadie

Glad to hear you had a good experience there. I guess what I will pass along are some things to avoid in the D.R. My wife's real estate company has a new deal with the Guavaberry Country Club in Bayahibe, so we went down over Christmas and New Years to check things out. For any golfers, this course is outstanding....but leave it at that. The food and drinks at the club are abysmal. We dove with SeaPro Divers who are located out of the Coral by Hilton (which also owns Guavaberry). The guys there are really nice, but they charge the same prices as some of the established dive resorts you find that provide full boats and safety equipment, etc. You get 8 people in a 5-person skiff and head out (no big deal, been there before). The diving off of Bayahibe and Boca Chica is rather bland, as they have endured some residual damage from 2 years of hurricane hits. One big point though....do not stay at the Coral by Hilton. We had several dive buddies (and friends made by our non-diver group), and they were all bailing out of the hotel early saying it was the worst experience all of them have ever had. No hot water (or no water at all), terrible food, surly employees, etc. I can't imagine they will remain a Hilton much longer. The people of the D.R. are really great, but I doubt we will return for any diving/tourist reasons, as there is much better diving to be found elsewhere (just my humble, sanctimonious opinion).

Which Coral by the Hilton are you talking about, Boca Chica or La Romana? I have heard Boca Chica is bad. Also, for Country boy, please let us know how driving is in the DR, I am going in May and toyin with renting a car.

So I'm back....

On Saturday I returned from the Dominican Republic and I'm pleased to say that the diving was pretty good. Now I've been there before and I had remembered it fondly. I was also shocked to see that many of the posts on here basically tell you that the Dominican doesn't have anything to offer. In any case, if you're planning on going to the Dominican you'll find the information in this post valuable. If you've have recently been, please chime in and share your experience.

Ok, so I'm heading down to the DR for a friends wedding and I come here to see what there is in Punta Cana. Sadly I find that the diving won't be very good so I take it upon myself to find the best dive sites and work with several dive shops.

My preliminary dealings with the dive shops resulted in the following...

The resort I was staying with in Punta Cana has Scuba Caribe and would not go anywhere other than Punta Cana, so they kicked themselves out automatically.

Scuba Caribe in Bayahibe had planned dives for the week and I could tag along, so that ended that.

Dressel Divers had the dive excursions I wanted and they were out of Bayahibe but they would only do certain excursions on certain days and you basically fit into their frame work or you don't go. Since I was at the mercy of the wedding party that didn't work for me.

Scuba Fun out of Bayahibe responded to all of my emails once I called them and found out the details (They were in the process of establishing new management) and were great to work with. I can honestly say that Scuba Fun let me build the trip that I wanted and gave me the best diving the Dominican has to offer.

On top of that, they worked with me (a little bit) on price but they were cheaper than every other shop and I felt that the service was better than the bigger shops.

Now you need to remember that when you go to the Dominican your schedules are typically within 60 minutes... so that mean that if you need to be there at 8:30 am, you'll probably leave for diving around 9:30 and if you are cabbing it, you should tell your cabby to pick you up 60 minutes after the dive shop tells you that you'll be there. Remember... you're on vacation, you're in the Dominican, and most of all... You're diving.

On with the report...

Day 1 - I arranged transportation on my on and I decided to take a taxi every day from Punta Cana to Bayahibe due to the over whelming response from our tour operator, the hotel, and the dive shop not to drive. It took about 15 minutes in the taxi before I realized that it wasn't a conspiracy... you really don't want to drive there. So, for 140 US each day I with the help of Scuba Fun arranged a taxi. Now this is a pretty important point. John (the owner of Scuba Fun) helped me out greatly with the taxi negotiation and I believe he saved me a total of 90 bucks. Yes, the taxi is expensive but remember I'm driving 180 kms per day in a taxi.... so while it's tough to swallow the fee, 140 is a good deal. My thanks to John on this one. Needless to say, my party is picked up at 6:30 am each day, taken to Bayahibe, and taken back to the resort after diving. Money well spent.

The first day we dive the St. George and multiple reefs. Good wreck, about 96 ft average and the visability was excellent. There wasn't a lot of fish life but the wreck was nice, minor penetrations. The reefs had some nice surprises, smaller fish, eel, etc

Day two we head out to Catalina for the wall and the aquarium. Much better plant and coral life, and in general more sea life. Our third dive was on Dominicus reef where we came across a massive rock lobster, and several eels.

Day three we headed out to shark point, catalinita, and Sanoa. The first dive we saw the biggest sting ray I've ever seen (body was about 3 to 4 feet wide) and a nurse shark. Sanoa had a decent lunch, excellent beach and on the way back we hit a star fish field, and the Penon dive site. Much better life at this site, multiple eels, eagle ray, crabs, fish, etc. To cap it all off we did a night dive along Bayahibe and saw some great fish.

Now I am skimping on some of the details but here's the gist for you. The Dominican is not known for "big fish" but if you look, you will see some great life. I can honestly say that I had a great dive trip and each day only got better. More importantly the staff at Scuba Fun were friendly and great to work with.

The process started with Corina who speaks 6 languages (I'm in awe of her) and she helped me coordinate everything from Colorado. Everything went smoothly.

From there I met with the guides/instructors/dm's and I feel like an *** because I can't remember the two Dominican guides but they were all very good and Ann and Cedric really made the trip enjoyable.

The boat operators didn't really speak much english but Johnny cracked me up and seemed to be having a good time because he spends most of it singing.... I'm not sure to who.

John the owner of the shop was great to deal with and helped put an American spin on the Dominican life.

All in all the diving was great, the staff were great, and the shop I chose to deal with I think made all the difference in the world.

If you want my opinion, when you're in the Dominican look up Scuba Fun if you want a flawless dive trip.

SCUBAFUN Bayahibe, Dominican Republic

By the way, I paid for all my dives, I just believe in promoting good service. If you would like more specific information about which reefs, what I saw, etc, feel free to ask or pm me.

Vince
Please find links to videos of the St.George Wreck and Penon reef in Bayahibe.

YouTube - El Peñón, Bayahibe

YouTube - St George, Bayahibe, República Dominicana

Back
Top Bottom