Diving In Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Loucas

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I am planning a trip to Thailand and Vietnam in Nov/Dec and want to try some diving. I haven't done diving before, but have done a little free diving, lots of snorkeling and I am a confident swimmer. So far, I have The Similans and Hin Daeng/Muang and Nha Trang in Vietnam. I believe that Hin Daeng/Muang may not be right for me as I am a beginner, is that right? Also, i think its just too far south. Nha Trang is apparently off season at the time I am going so not sure if that means the diving shops will be closed.

I think Similans is probably looking the best so far, ideally want to do a day trip rather than liveboard, although fairly pricey. Also looked at Koh Lipe, but again is just too far south for the time I have.

Any suggestions?

similans on a day trip ?!? they are rather far from the coast.. you'd be spedning more time on the boat than in actual diving 8and I guess that to get there the boats needs quite a bit of fule, making the trip not so cheap)

also, and perhaps more importantly, isnt a pity to go to such a great location without at least an OW certification?! you'd miss the best part of it

perhaps best to do some diving (and ideally get a OW certification) BEFORE going to the similans

only my personal opinion (I'm a relatively new diver, but just back from thailand) ... I'm sure real experts (e.g. quero) can give you more meaningful advice and suggestions

Maybe if I was to do my OW somewhere else in thailand where its a bit cheaper and easier. i.e. Ko Tao? Is OW the same as PADI. I'm a little confused. how long does it take to do?

Hi Loucas! I've replied to your posted questions in another thread, if I recall. I see you're still trying to get a handle on this.

If you are looking for a moderately-priced first-time diving experience, I think you should consider going to Koh Lanta. It's a beautiful island, and some of my favorite dive sites there are appropriate for beginners, though you are correct that Hin Daeng and Hin Muang, which are reachable from Koh Lanta, are really intermediate-advanced dives. I think I mentioned the island group Koh Haa in my reply in the other thread, and these dive sites are near Koh Lanta as well. Daytrips to the Similans are possible from either Phuket or Khao Lak, but from Phuket they represent a very long day since you get picked up at about 6 am and don't get back until about 6 pm, all for just two dives. And as you noted, it's a pretty expensive experience. From Khao Lak the price is not much different, but your day is a bit shorter since you cut out a lot of travel time.

Hope that helps.

Maybe if I was to do my OW somewhere else in thailand where its a bit cheaper and easier. i.e. Ko Tao? Is OW the same as PADI. I'm a little confused. how long does it take to do?
PADI is a certifying agency. OW means "open water" and is a diver certification level--the basic, first-level course in scuba diving. PADI and other agencies provide OW certification courses through affiliated dive schools. You don't need to do the OW course in order to try diving, though. There is an experience called Discover Scuba Diving which doesn't require any studying at all, but that also doesn't award any sort of certification.

If decide that you do want to get certified as an open water scuba diver, you should plan on four days at minimum for your studying, coursework, and dive training. Any less than that is only shortchanging you on your course. Even if it costs less to do an abbreviated course (e.g., three days), you should understand that in order to offer an abbreviated course, the training time for virtually all aspects of the course have to be abbreviated as well. Since you will essentially be learning how to stay safe and to survive in an environment (under water) for which humans are not physiologically adapted (we drown), it's quite important to learn everything very well rather than rushing through it just to save a little money. You will certainly be able to get certified on Koh Tao, but don't expect it to be "easier" there, and make sure to look for a school that offers a four-day course. Alternatively, you could get certified on Koh Lanta, or here on Phuket.

Thanks Quero,

So seeing as I am a begineer, will i be able to do one day dives in Koh Lanta, or do i have to get certified first by doing the four day course? What do you reccomend?

Thanks

I would recommend the one-day Discover Scuba Diving experience. If you simply fall in love with the sport, you can just continue on for the full Open Water course with the same school you do the DSD with.

Back
Top Bottom