• Welcome to ScubaBoard


  1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

    Benefits of registering include

    • Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

    Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Diving in Sulfur....ok?

Discussion in 'Basic Scuba Discussions' started by rob.mwpropane, Oct 1, 2020.

  1. boat sju

    boat sju Loggerhead Turtle

    # of Dives: 200 - 499
    Location: Haslett, Michigan
    1,480
    375
    83
    I was taught that you go "nose blind" pretty much just before it kills you.

    I've experienced the same thing diving in (parts of) quarries too. I thought it was interesting how you can smell under water. I guess it's not really a big deal but who wants to dive in swamp water.
     
  2. rob.mwpropane

    rob.mwpropane ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

    1,246
    773
    113
    Well I definitely didn't experience death or the "nose blind" lol.

    It's not that I want to dive in smelly swamp water, it's just that's what the lower 1/2 of the quarry has to offer. Earlier this year it was "smokey" but now it's more just "black"ish water, but still kind of clear.

    Here's a very crappy video of the other night;
    Dropbox - P9300015.MOV - Simplify your life
     
  3. boat sju

    boat sju Loggerhead Turtle

    # of Dives: 200 - 499
    Location: Haslett, Michigan
    1,480
    375
    83
    Sorry, didn't mean to imply you WANTED to dive in smelly swamp water :)
     
    rob.mwpropane likes this.
  4. rob.mwpropane

    rob.mwpropane ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

    1,246
    773
    113
    No worries:):wink:, I mean,,,if it means I can get under and hang out for a bit I'll take what I can get, lol. I'm just grateful to have a place to dive.
     
  5. rjack321

    rjack321 ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

    # of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Location: Port Orchard, WA
    10,673
    5,184
    113
    1) it will ruin the chrome on your regs and other bits over time
    2) it can make you nauseous, dizzy and to the point of vomiting - from the water which gets into your 2nd stage through the exhaust diaphragm and into your nose from little mask leaks
     
    rob.mwpropane likes this.
  6. Dusty123

    Dusty123 Nassau Grouper

    124
    86
    28
    As long as you can smell it its ok, not ideal, if it gets strong enough you start to not smell it, it can knock you out or give you a heart attack. Its also corrosive as hell.
     
    rob.mwpropane likes this.
  7. John C. Ratliff

    John C. Ratliff Instructor, Scuba

    # of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    Location: Beaverton, Oregon
    2,861
    1,500
    113
    Well, a weak acid, and sulfur.
    Ask yourself what happens to your gear if it is subjected to dilute acid; also the sulfur will adhere to the gear if not washed off. 'Same for your nose. :wink:

    SeaRat
     
  8. John C. Ratliff

    John C. Ratliff Instructor, Scuba

    # of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    Location: Beaverton, Oregon
    2,861
    1,500
    113
    Do not rely upon smell with H2S. If it's in an industrial situation, we always recommend using an instrument to quantify the amount in the air; in an outdoor diving situation, that is not possible, but if you start smelling it, it's best to simply get out and not stay around.

    The American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists has a threshold limit value for H2S of 1 ppm, with a short term exposure limit (15 minutes) of only 5 ppm.* The TLV basis is for eye irritation and central nervous system impairment.

    USA Federal OSHA has an interesting article on H2S:
    Safety and Health Topics | Hydrogen Sulfide - Hazards | Occupational Safety and Health Administration

    SeaRat

    *2014 TLV Booklet.
     

Share This Page