Diving in Sudan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank's for the report Steve. It was a couple of years since my last Sudan-trip, but I'm planning to revisit in spring 06. I have only once before heard a diver returning from Sudan "disappointed" about the diving - she went in october. All the information I have gathered through the years together with personal experience tells me that march-april seems to be the best time for diving Sudan and june-august for Egypt. I've only done one trip outside the spring season (august 99), and all the spring trips have been about ten times better (ok, a little bit exaggerated). However, I must admit, that the chance of seeing the manta dance in mesharifa in september-october, which I have never had the chance to do personally, sounds very tempting. A friend said it was spectacular with 20-30 mantas during a single dive. But I've understood that the gatherings are sensitive when it comes to weather, you need the exact right wind/water conditions. And if there are no mantas in this location, which is very specific, there is nothing else to see. So, a bit of a gamble.

Personally I think the quality of the diving is the real benefit in Sudan compared to Egypt, not that it's less crowded than most places in Egypt. Diversity and quantity is a lot better. Coral is a draw I would say, compared to the best unspoilt (if you can find them) sites in Sinai.

Good luck with your next trip.

Christian

Back
Top Bottom