Diving in St. Maarten?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CSD1129:
Is that the dive company at Pelican? I had my first scuba experience with them (in a pool). It ended badly, and I didn't go diving for the next 3 years. I passed by the shop last year enroute to st.barts (The ferry left out of Pelican Marina). Their equipment looked ancient. I would really ask around about them...I haven't really heard that much about them lately. On AOL boards, most of the crowd is using Dive Safaris, including me.

Let me know how Saba is...I might make it over there to dive this year. Sea Saba is supposed to be a good company (from what I've heard at the local dive shop).

Good Luck,
-Christine
Well Im not sure but It is the same company that owns the edge ( the ferry that goes to the other islands). I thing Aqua Mania is water, tour shop, and Dive Adventures is the dive op, they are supposed to be a full padi operation. We still don't know which to use. Dive adventure charges 150.00 for 5 dives and discount to Saba with one or two dives ( additional fee). Dive Safaris charges 175.00 for 5 dives but does not go to Saba. I am trying to find out what the ferry alone over to Saba is but can't seem to find it anywhere. The extra 25.00 isn't bad if ther is a definit difference between the two. Im not on Aol so I haven't been able to get that info.
Thanks for the information you gave me. :10: Lynne

That's def. them.
I didn't have a good experience with them before I got certified. That was almost four-five years ago. I spend a lot of time in ST.Maarten and I use Dive Safaris. Never got to make it over to Saba because there's really nothing there for my non-diving family. This year my Dad agreed to go over with me though.

The situation with this dive shop could have changed, but I haven't really heard that much about them recently. I liked using Dive Safaris out of Simpson bay (Especially off season!) since it wasn't a cattle car.

The only thing I can really suggest is that you Book the ferry to Saba separtely and make reservations to dive w/ a shop there. Or email dive safaris/ dive adventures.

Wish I could be more of a help to you.
-Christine

Is this your first time on the island?

Although I didn't like their zodiac, we did enjoy diving on St. Martin with "ScubaFun". The dive breifing was good, and they were helpful with diving gear. The viz was allot better than St. Thomas and we did have two sightings of black tip. My camera was on the fritz, so no pics :>(

Dive Safe,
Caymaniac

The viz is great in ST.Maarten.
While I was in ST.Thomas we also had excellent viz...although I heard it's really hit or miss.

Scuba fun just opened up at maho last year, correct? I almost went diving with them but stayed loyal to Dive Safaris. The good thing about scuba fun is that they provied transportation for their divers.

Cheers!
Christine

scuba fun is also on the french side and has been for many years. IMHO they are the best on the island.

the dutch side is just an add on for them, so go to the french side and they have a 35ft very nice boat.

DaveG:
scuba fun is also on the french side and has been for many years. IMHO they are the best on the island.

the dutch side is just an add on for them, so go to the french side and they have a 35ft very nice boat.

Never dove with them, but I think they do provide transportation from their Maho location to the French side. If you're going to stay on the Dutch Side and use them, it's probably your best bet to contact the diveshop at Maho and see what they do.

We're down to 89 days until our two weeks in ST.Maarten!

Just returned from St Maarten this past weekend and dove with Aqua Mania the whole week as usual (4 years running). I will post a trip report and some pictures a little later but I would again have to give 2 thumbs up to Aqua Mania and their op. I used my own stuff but the rental gear appeared to be in good condition. In fact, they were servicing all the regs the day I got there.

Anyway, a more detailed trip report will be on the way...as soon as I get used to this work stuff again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom