Diving in St. Kitts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bmangal

New
Reaction score
I will be in St Kitts in December and have been trying to find some unbiased information on diving there.
Has anyone dove in St. Kitts and if so do you have any reccomendations for sites and/or dive operators?

I dove in St Kitts almost 10 years ago, so this may be a little outdated. We went in September, and the weather was decent, water temps around 80, reefs were mediocre and vis was ~50 ft. It was one of my first trips after getting certified, so I really didn't know what to expect. At that time there were only 2 dive operators (Austin McCleod was the DM's name that I dove with). Both had similar operations. Single engine boat, 15 - 30 minute ride to dive sites. Service was good, but not exceptional. I was somewhat put off by the DM catching lobsters on several of the the dives. St. Kitts does not have a marine park to my knowledge, so technically one can catch fish if you choose - even spearfish. Any dive day is a good day, but overall I was disappointed.

Are you going there just for the diving? If so, I would consider other options. On the other hand, St. Kitts is a very pretty island, and I highly recommend doing the climg to the top of Mt. Misery (with a guide).

Hope this helps,
Rich

I did my OW test in the waters around St. Kitts. I can't comment about a dive op because I was staying on Nevis at the time and used one from there.

The reefs were in excellent condition and the viz was very good-I'm guessing 80+ feet.

If my memory serves my correctly, there is a wreck that is a short ride from the island.

Sorry I can't be of more help. I was mostly focused on getting my cert at the time!

Most people have neve been in a hot spring; I've been in one 100 feet down on the reef there, except I think it was closer to Neivis.

I did a Resort Dive there, from an operators boat contracted with Windjammer. About a 10 minute course :nuts: before diving to 40 feet. By the 3rd dive, I was down to 100 feet. Dumb :dunce: but I didn't know it; it got me hooked!

Went back a year later on the same WJ boat, dived with the same operator, and it was a wonderful as I remembered. Weird soft corals. Great fish and reef. Sorry I can't help you with an operator, but I wanted to tell you what I did remember.

If you have time, Saaba and Staita are not far away, and probably better overall. Tell us about it when you get back. But for now, try using the SEARCH option here, and see what you get.

:cheers: don

Hi
We fly in to St Kitts on November 8th for a week of diving with Caribbean Explorer II. Never been there and am looking forward to diving a new spot for us.

Happy and Safe Diving

Ron

[(Austin McCleod was the DM's name that I dove with). I was somewhat put off by the DM catching lobsters on several of the the dives.

Just came back from St. Kitts -- Austin still catches lobsters on the dives, even 10 years later. :D But he gave them to us to eat, so we forgave him. YUM!

I know this is an old thread but I had to make a comment. I did my OW certification with Austin and the last day he had his parents coming in we spent quite a bit of time catching lobsters together and I thought it was great. I didn't get to keep any of the lobsters but he said next time I can, cant wait to get there in a month and a half.

Back
Top Bottom