Diving In Southern England

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello Everyone :)

A bit specific, but hopefully someone can answer;

What's the marine life like around the south Eastern coast, cities like Portsmouth and Southhampton?

Just curious as I plan to dive round that way soon.
Any information at all would be great!

Thanks ,

Lozzerdiver

I did some scallop diving in that area last year and had a great time. Visibility was probably 20 feet. The water was cold. We also dove a rock formation that was covered with varied colored star fish (amazing how many colors there were), saw lobster and a few different fish (lack the knowledge for type) Also did a wreck dive (Chester Poling) I was using a 7mm wetsuit and had to call the dive as I was too cold afetr 15 minutes. On the safety stop I see the entire group behind us. We get to the surface and they were all laughing. No one wanted to be the one to call the dive but had bets on how long I would last as they were all too cold in their dry suits. I would go again!

its a drysuit job.
300 to 500 wrecks.
viz is a bit unpredictable.

I'm originally from that neck of the woods and there are some great dives there, lots of wrecks, but not masses of life. Water temp is low, so would advise a drysuit. Also take a guide who knows the area, as viz can be low making navigation more difficult. But for sure you will enjoy !!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just a thought have you tried Googleing :-diving Portsmouth and diving Southampton lots of dive shops ,there's also a UK. dive guide book called "Dive Hampshire"which covers the areas in detail would. Echo above posting useing a dry suit for the 40degree water temperture.

This is the book which would help. DIVE1.JPG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom