Diving in Southern Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I owe Caribbean Spring an apology, as I never answered this:-

Peterbj7, and whoever wants to pipe in,
I want to take my newly certified spouse on his first dive. The rest of us have been wanting to go to Belize. Thank you for your thorough discussion of the southern parts of Belize. Everybody likes different things; my friend's favorite diving is where he gets a map to the beach, drives his truck there and has at it. What is your opinion for the site or resort or shop for the following preferences?
1. Colorful marine life
2. No deeper than the new guy can go with a PADI Open Water (60 feet? 100 feet?)
3. No special preference for wall dives v. spur and groove, as long as the new guy is rewarded with the pretty things in #1, above. The rest of us like wall dives, but this trip is hook-the-new-guy.
4. We're a family, and no one drinks, so no "nightlife" is required. No excursions needed to jungle or ruins needed.
5. No current. None. We like Cozumel, but current would freak spouse out.
6. More dive master supervision is preferred to less supervision. The rest of us are competent divers (PADI Master Scuba Diver) but it will be a new (unknown) location. Besides, we are just doofuses on vacation.

Ambergriss? Thatch Caye? Turneffe?
Thanks everyone for the tailor-made suggestions.

I think Ambergris and Thatch Caye would both work for you. I've not stayed on Turneffe so I'm not qualified to comment on that, tho' IMO the diving there is good but not as good as that on Lighthouse.

Both places (AC & TCR) offer colourful marine life, dives at a variety of depths including those suitable for a beginner, and near-zero currents. Clearly on any particular day you have to choose a site that's suitable in the prevailing conditions. At the sort of depth you're talking about the presence of the wall is largely irrelevant and either location would offer satisfying topology, though if you extend down to the 100ft of AOW (OW max is 60ft) I really like the spur-and-groove formations found off AC.

In just a few dives from TCR in the Southwater Caye Marine Park I have seen more "interesting" creatures than on a typical AC dive. Dolphins are frequently sighted (far from common off AC), turtles are almost commonplace, and I've seen more manta rays in SWCMP in two or three weeks than in six years at AC.

But they both have excellent diving, albeit different. I think some guests I met at TCR on my second visit there (I've now been there three times) had it right. They stayed for a week at Portofino Resort in the north of Ambergris Caye and dived from there. They then spent a second week at TCR and dived there, and told me they loved both places. Like TCR, Portofino is relatively up-market, but like TCR is much more upmarket in what it offers than in what it charges. Staying at both these places in the same holiday seems to me near ideal (if you want to be on/near the sea, of course).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom