Diving in South Jersey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

prodjbm

Reaction score
I was recently certified OW diver in crystal river florida. I have a experienced diver friend in Fla. that I will be able to dive with there but I live most of the time in south jersey , cape may county. I was wondering what the diving in south jersey was like and where there are some good places to dive for a beginer, I have a local friend that was certified with me at the same time so it would be 2 new divers going togther.

Thanks,
Bill

Hey Bill welcome to the board. If you'd like, shoot over to www.wreckvalley.com/forum and sign up there. Most of our conversation is held on our site now.

As far as getting wet, there are tons of quarries within driving distance of you to get used to the northeast conditions. It's a different world up here, and you should have good solid skills before you venture out to the ocean. The one place that a lot of us go to often is Dutch Springs. www.dutchsprings.com I think. Do you own your own gear?

Thanks Jonny, that dutch springs look pretty neat. I do have my own gear. I'm gonna go join wreck valley now

Thanks again,
Bill

There he is again...Luring them away from salt water.
I think Jonny and Gunzter secretly bought Dutch Last year but did not tell anyone.
:wave-smil

If you don't feel like driving a couple hours stop by East Coast on Rt. 9 in Northfield or Atlantic Divers on Fire rd in EHT. They have calenders with the wrecks they have scheduled. The depth and skill levels are indicated on the calenders.
These guys have classes ending soon so many of the first wrecks they do in the spring are meant to include the newly certified divers.

Yes Dutch is a great place... Willow too......Heck, Anywhere you can get wet is worth mentioning but a five or ten minute ride to get onto a boat is better than a long haul up the AC Expressway, Skuykill Expressway, and PA Turnpike.

East Coast
Atlantic Divers

prodjbm:
I was recently certified OW diver in crystal river florida. I have a experienced diver friend in Fla. that I will be able to dive with there but I live most of the time in south jersey , cape may county. I was wondering what the diving in south jersey was like and where there are some good places to dive for a beginer, I have a local friend that was certified with me at the same time so it would be 2 new divers going togther.

Thanks,
Bill

I believe the Gypsy Blood leaves from that area? I'm not quite sure. I think there are a couple of boats that leave from the barnegat inlet. Diving in NJ is an entirely different world, but no less fun. You just need to adapt your gear.

For the warmer months, 7 mm suit with hood and gloves. Colder months, you need a drysuit.

The grand majority of NJ divers own their gear, including weights and tanks.

Speaking of tanks, ALL boats require you to have an independent alternate air source, AKA, pony bottle. From 19 cu to 40 cu, depending on the type of diving. Oh yeah, forget about the spare air.

Visibility in excess of 20 feet is A TREAT and a rare occurence. Getting training in navigation comes very handy. Another class that will be useful will be advanced diver. Better if you take it locally as they can introduce you to the Atlantic Conditions.

You can get up to 6 delicious lobsters per day (within regulations) also mussels and scallops. Again, make sure to get the training for it.

Dutch Springs is an excellent place to get acquainted with new gear and test cold water diving. The visibility at Dutch is much better than the Atlantic though (let's thank the zebra mussels)

Once you learn to dive the Atlantic, you will love the divers, the adventure, and all the new skills that you will acquire. Once you learn to dive the Atlantic, Florida waters will be a pond. Like I said before, the diving is different, but no less fun. Good luck!

Great info coach thanks. Just wondering, do you need the spare air? because after that you said " Oh yeah, forget about the spare air"

Thanks,
Bill

hey bill,

what izzy is saying is that you will need an independant redundant air source, in the form of double tanks, stage or pony bottle. there is a product called "spair air" which is about the size of a can and holds a few emergency breaths... a product that nobody in the north east would rightfully consider to be a redundant air source. unless of course your name is jonny_rocket. :D

Bill,
Check out the Pirate King

http://www.piratekingcharters.com/pirateking2/home.htm

It just moved from Barnegat Light area to Cape May, great boat and captain.
Our dive club (Oceanwreckdivers.com) uses this boat when we go down there. He typically goes to wrecks that others don't hit.

If your ever up this way (Toms River) look us up, as if there is any room left, we usually try to take non-club members along.

Regards,
Mark

Thanks solodover, I may look into that, I just wanna make sure I have enough experience before I do any diving in groups so I don't hold anyone up with my inexperience

prodjbm:
Thanks solodover, I may look into that, I just wanna make sure I have enough experience before I do any diving in groups so I don't hold anyone up with my inexperience

If you want, I can give you the name of an excellent divemaster who guided me in my first Atlantic Diving experience and I will keep hiring him until it all becomes second nature. I've learned quite a bit from him and he is very professional. He works for the Sea-Lion out of Brielle, NJ. Let me know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom