Diving in South Carolina in January

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubamickey

I'm a GIRL!
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'll be attending a conference in Charlotte, SC in January and I was wondering about the dive conditions that time of year. I am interested in the Pump House and the Hot Hole but open to suggestions. However, The River is not an option for me, I'm nowhere near experienced enough to dive under those conditions. Not to mention my fear of crocs :)
I don't want to dive dry. What are the water temps like in January? What about the visibility?

Thanks

The hot hole will be in the low 80's or high 70's all year round. The pump house will be very cold. Low 60's or below. Vis will be between 5-20 feet usually. The Hwy 130 bridge in Keowee (near the hot hole and pump house) is a good site also. Park on the side of the road and walk the trail to the little sandy shore area. It is 100' under the bridge with usually very good vis. Post when you will be here and maybe some of us locals can meet up and dive with you.

dolphinfan:
The hot hole will be in the low 80's or high 70's all year round. The pump house will be very cold. Low 60's or below. Vis will be between 5-20 feet usually. The Hwy 130 bridge in Keowee (near the hot hole and pump house) is a good site also. Park on the side of the road and walk the trail to the little sandy shore area. It is 100' under the bridge with usually very good vis. Post when you will be here and maybe some of us locals can meet up and dive with you.

Thanks. I will be there the first week in January so I will post again when the time draws closer.

What's the water temp like at the bridge site?

Does anyone have directions to the Hot Hole? Is this a place that I can just drive up to and dive or do I need a dive operation?

scubamickey:
Does anyone have directions to the Hot Hole? Is this a place that I can just drive up to and dive or do I need a dive operation?
Call Reese "@ Bermuda" and if he has room he will probably take you if you donate $10.00 for gas. FYI you do need a boat to get there.

This is taken from
http://www.24scuba.com/GREENVILLE/indexgv.html

DIRECTIONS:
TO LAKE JOCASSEE: Take I-85 south to exit 40, turn right on Hwy 153. 4 miles and take Hwy 123 south to Easley. Fork to right onto Hwy 93, just past Hardees (on the left). Go all the way thru downtown Easley. At the stop light past the next Hardees, go straight onto Hwy 8 to Pickens. In Pickens, turn left onto Hwy 183 ( at the Mcdonalds). Go all the way thru Pickens and turn right onto Shady Grove Rd where the 4 lanes ends ( at the BP /Mobil station). Stay on Shady Grove Rd till it dead-ends at the Church and Store. Turn right onto Hwy 133. Go 3 miles and turn left onto Hwy 11. Go 3 miles and turn right onto Boones Creek Rd (at the BP station). Go ½ mile and turn right onto Jocassee Lake Rd (at Boones Creek Church). Go 2 miles and after you pass Hoyetts Grocery look for the Devils Fork State Park Entrance. Turn left into the park and go approx. 2 miles. Turn right at the fork to the remote boat ramp. Go 1 mile to the dive area.
NOTE: There is a $2 per person State Park admission fee.

To Lake Keowee, Warpath Landing (HOT HOLE): Follow the above directions to Pickens. Stay on 183 West 8-9 miles. When you come to the 4 way stop, continue straight 2.3 miles and turn right on Warpath Rd. The ramp/dock is 1 mile on the left.

Thanks Quetzal.

Like your username :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom