Diving in Shenzhen?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SZDiver

New
Reaction score
I'm a diver living in Shenzhen, PRC now. Does anyone know any reputable local dive shops? There are a lot of shops run by people who know nothing about diving and/or have no credentials. Just a bunch of equipment to rent.

I'm particularly concerned with safety since I have kids. I'd like to get them junior certification or Open Water for an upcoming family vacation. We're not big time divers, but we do enjoy it from time to time.

Thanks!

If its not too much of an inconvenience, consider hopping on the train over to HK... Plenty of good English speaking instructors here...

I've found a scuba club in Shenzhen - type 'shendivers' into google and you'll find their site. This club is run by expats and they train divers to internationally recognised standards. The 'NAUI' certification courses they offer are by far the safest. I had some concerns when my two kids wanted to scuba dive for the first time. These guys laid all my fears to rest, they are VERY safe and professional. Now my wife and I considerinng one of their holiday packages. Hope this helps.

I've been told by a fellow local dive club member who resides in Shenzhen that you might want to try Shenzhen Scuba World Centre. They supposedly have English speaking instructors. He's gone diving with them a few times and thinks they might be OK.
http://www.szswc.com/index_Eng.html

Actually, I should have thought of this earlier, the club member I mentioned above is a newly minted BSAC instructor. I haved dived with him before and he's pretty solid and a very likeable chap. I forget exactly where he lives in Shenzhen. If you want, I can fwd his contact info to you. Just not sure if he has access to equipment, pool time, etc in Shenzhen to do the training.

SZDiver - when you have been diving off Shenzen, will you let us know what it is like please?

I didn't dive when I lived in HK but heard a lot about it and will some day return. Would like to know if it is worth popping over the border as well.

Thanks!

too bad they don't just sink that Russian Kiev class aircraft carrier that's been converted to an amusement park!!! :eyebrow: Now that would be enough reason for me to lug my diving gear across the border...

Hey, thanks. I checked out SZWC and shendivers. Both look good and I think they share instructors! Must not be too many around.......

And they are building a new man made reef in Daya Bay, so that should be cool even without the Carrier.

Well good luck SZDiver with the course for your kids.

Just got back from a day out in HK waters. Got one dive in before we all retired to an island seafood restaurant and the beers started to flow. As usual, me and my buddy didn't see much while the rest of group bragged about seeing a lion fish and octopus... grrr...

Hong Kong's diving industrial is really mature and i think you can find many English speaking instructor there. Also i think it is safer then in shenzhen.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom