Diving in Puerto Vallarta?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tony28898

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi folks,

I got a pretty good deal on flights to Puerto Vallarta and decided to stay there for a week in July. It's my first trip to Mexico and I don't know a lot about the country or the city itself.

Done some research and found that the city isn't famous for scuba diving, but I still hope to get a few (maybe more?) dives there. Can anyone who has been there share what you know about diving in the city? Any advice on land activities and accommodation would be appreciated too.

Thanks in advance!

I dove April 2023 with PVoceantours and had a few good dives south of Puerto Vallarta (boat dives out of Mismaloya). There were lots of eagle rays , which was a highlight, but they are seasonal. The diving can vary greatly by season in general, so figure that out before you book. PVoceantours is well run and has great customer service if you want to reach out to them.

I personally loved staying near mismaloya. Quiet, right up against the cliffs , ocean, jungle. PV itself can be nice, but the main tourist streets are more expensive and less authentic. Lots of ex pats.

My video - from 2 morning dives

Thank you for the info!
I am checking with ocean tours and see what is their schedule that week. I also heard that the water is much clear in the summer (except when it's raining) so the dives could go better than I thought.

I'll try avoiding the main tourist streets when I'm there.

You can still enjoy those tourist streets! particularly in Zona romantica along the coast. Just recognize you'll find higher prices and the occasional tourist scam.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom