Diving In Nuclear Reactors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I met a couple of guys in Saint Paul, MN, several years ago who had done this type of work. We didn't have the chance to talk about it much, but I definitely remember that these were two individuals who were very calm and confident. Very together dudes. And, according to my friend, through whom I met them, very competent at their current job, construction. Don't know if they had kids. Probably making a lot more money now.

Just saw something on this on Fox News...looks like fun!

I live near Three Mile Island, so I DON'T think I'm up for this hahaha!

(Although Bainbridge Quarry is VERY close!)

CoatingRepair.jpg

Hello there.
I am, unfortunately, the person so misquoted in that article. It is all true but the journalist chose the only two things I said that weren't good. I had knee surgery and would not be able to dive for up to 6 months.. hence the "no future".
Anyway, I LOVED my job, even when the pay sucked and I knew we ought to make more money.
John is right. Diving in radioactively contaminated water you can get pretty close to some strong radiation. But they keep us safe.
Except the next to last job I did where we were cutting some metal thimbles for sensors that go in the reactor (Mike Pickart was quoted on that job, we were together). The remnants had as much as 20,000Rem... enough to kill you 200x over if you fell.. the divers were kept 18ft away from that amount. You see, water is a great shield, if you don't fall off your perch.
feel free to browse mySpace for diving photos http://www.myspace.com/divekyra
but more so, if you click onmy friends' pages you will see many more photos of nuke jobs and offshore jobs.
The nuke diving hat alone weighs 34lbs with camera set up and light.

PaulSmithTek:
I did a couple of jobs as a free lance commercial Diver working In Nuc Plants. Working with spent fuel rods and stuff.

I guess that explains your avatar... :D

divekyra Does the company you work for Hire Canadians? id love to get into some nuke power plant diving.

I don't dive reactors (no dose here) but if you want to get paid to dive, do what I did; Find a market, learn the required professional skills, form your corporation, and then proceed to do whatever it takes to be better than your competition.

Our first month we invoiced a grand total of $335.00. One year later we were averaging $20,000 per month and turning away appx 5 grand each month on deep water repairs and cold water work. All that has now changed.:D

Yes, we had a canadian... I think he was canadian with one american parent. But we have had canadians.
Underwater Construction 1-800-USA-DIVE

Hmm, I wonder if my DAN insurance would cover that?

It'd be an interesting phone call...

"See, I was in this nuclear reactor diving....."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom