Diving in N Korea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

milktrayman

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all,

I woke up this morning and was thinking about diving an extreme location.. North Korea is opening up to the west, and it does have a small shoreline.... whats it like to dive ?? :06:

Is this a hypothetical question or are you being serious? I think the answer is you stick to the east coast. My guess is that the water is probably too murky and contains too many man made obstacles on the west coast.

Uhh...North Korea is not opening up to the west. Where'd you get that idea?

As for the diving, I know that the further north you go on the east coast of South korea (jeez that's a lot of direction words), the better the coral growth. There are less factories near the border for obvious reasons so less pollution and cleaner water. This time of year, there will be lots of really tall kelp but unfortunately, not a lot of fish. It's good for korea, but not good when you compare to other places in Asia. I'm headed up there in a couple weeks actually. I can only assume the diving on the N Korean side is similar but colder. Maybe it would mean less plankton and better vis?

Either way, I'd doubt it if you'll see Kim Jung Il dive charters up there anytime soon. Who knows? Maybe Padi will come out with an evil tyrant dictator specialty and we can head up there to get our cards.

Back
Top Bottom