Diving in Muscat - trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok perfect, thanks for the info. It was a tough decision to make and it was driving me crazy. Thanks again.

The Gulf of Oman has the most incredible thermocline. The first 3-5m would be like a jacuzzi, and just below that was like ice water. But just when I'd think I was getting too chilled, someone amazing would distract me, or we'd hit a pocket of warm water. Bundle up.

I was wondering about that, since i read reports that say the gulf has crazy thermoclines. But i wasn't sure, since all surf reports just give you surface water temps. Thanks for the heads up. I really appreciate it.

Hoods are always useful.

Even on the boat when it's moving prevents ear issues later.

Thanks for the info, but I don't see how a hood helps while you are on a boat... could you explain? Do you mean pressure? or just temperature of the ear?

Wind entry into a cold wet ear has caused issues for me and some other people I know.

A wooly hat works better, but sometimes I forget mine so I keep my hood up when the boat is speeding along.

Thank ya. I've been debating a "weekend" hop to Oman on my days off, but it sounds increasingly not worth it for the wife and I. It also looks like when the liveaboards actually sail (Insha'allah), they're... well, I've browsed the same prices, or lower, for the Maldives... and with far better reports of service. That and 7-10 days arent easy to do for a weekend off. If only politics wasn't in the way of getting to Egypt from Qatar at the moment...

Cheers!

Well you would not need 7-10 days for a weekend trip, there are day boats to Daymaniyat etc. But you may want more than 2 days, as you have to keep 24 h from diving to flying. It's a short flight, if considering, then do it during summer - where you have a good chance of whale sharks.

Copy that, thank ya. I'm with the ambulance here. Sometimes I forget to say my "weekend" is usually 96 hours (leave work at 5am, until I walk back into work at 5am.)

Well, Oman does tend to be a few degrees cooler than Qatar is in the summer... Any particular good timings?

Back
Top Bottom