diving in Moalboal and advice on diving center

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
W

world_traveler

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello
We planned a few days to dive (shallow dives, till 15m) and snorkel in Moalboal but now I wonder if it's a good choice after the typhoon.
Has anybody been there recently?
Which other area is god for shallow diving and snorkeling?

Which are the best diving centers in Moalboal?
Any experience with Blue Orchid, Savedra, Kasai village diving centers?

I came to Moalboal just before the pandemic and stayed, still there. Roughly 500 dives there.

Odette did some damage in the top 15m or so, below that still pretty good but this varies by site.

The shallows ar Pescidor were damaged but under the drop off not much change. The reef in front of Chilli Bar and the main party area was hard hit. The sardine run is there and it gets heave traffic from snorkelers which nhurts the area. Tongo Point and Talisman Wall are in good shape.

The airplane is gone, it went over the drop off and is in tech diving range.

As for what dive shop to use there is a wide variety of shops,some attached to resorts some independent. They differentiate by target area so there is something for everyone. There are expensive luxury places and economical ones, just depends on what you want.

I came to Moalboal just before the pandemic and stayed, still there. Roughly 500 dives there.

Odette did some damage in the top 15m or so, below that still pretty good but this varies by site.

The shallows ar Pescidor were damaged but under the drop off not much change. The reef in front of Chilli Bar and the main party area was hard hit. The sardine run is there and it gets heave traffic from snorkelers which nhurts the area. Tongo Point and Talisman Wall are in good shape.

The airplane is gone, it went over the drop off and is in tech diving range.

As for what dive shop to use there is a wide variety of shops,some attached to resorts some independent. They differentiate by target area so there is something for everyone. There are expensive luxury places and economical ones, just depends on what you want.
I ended up at Cebu Fun Divers, it was a good experience. Did a night dive right in front of the resort and saw my first and 20th mandarin fish and my first blue ring! It was a very nice way to wrap up the visit.

The sardine ball was about a quarter of what I remember from 2018 but still fun.

I miss Cebu Dive Center and hope they make it back. I really enjoyed them in the past.

Why has the hot spot moved from the walking path? Damage to the buildings there?

I miss CDC as well. Cam was always a great guy, knowledgeable and a good manager. At least some of the instructors are still around locally, I know Koz still teaches at CFD and Savedra.

Someone asked about good accommodations, I'd highly recommend Garden Village. It's a great resort, the owner Yohan unfortunately passed away during Covid but his wife still owns and manages the beautiful place. Good prices, and about 1km to Panagsama Beach for the dive shops.

I'll be heading there for the first time since 2019 in July, it'll be my 4th time in Moalboal so I'll also be able to give a decent report afterwards.

Hello
We planned a few days to dive (shallow dives, till 15m) and snorkel in Moalboal but now I wonder if it's a good choice after the typhoon.
Has anybody been there recently?
Which other area is god for shallow diving and snorkeling?

Which are the best diving centers in Moalboal?
Any experience with Blue Orchid, Savedra, Kasai village diving cent

We were in Moalboal in Mrch of this year. This was part of a planned trip cancelled due to the Wuhan Red Death in Marcg 2020. Itinerary was both Malapascua and Moalboal 8 days at each. Kasai Village is a nice property a few miles from the main village. It lost the end of its pier during the Typhoon and its now back to 100% operation. I will say I would have liked to visit in March 2020 prior to the Typhoon. Property is beautiful, great pool, food was good (we were on full meal plan, so never left the property) the Dive operation was excellent. The house reef is easy to dive on your own both day and night. The sardines were near shore during our stay but all said the numbers were nowhere near what they were prior to the typhoon. The staff throughout was excellent.

Back
Top Bottom