Diving in Malaysia, Indonesia and Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Grego

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi,

I'm starting a 1,5/2 months trip from KL (where I'm now) in the area of Malaysia, Indonesia and Philippines with a main focus on diving (of course :p ). I was wondering if anyone would have recommendation of places to go (and not to go), dive operators to use (or not to use) according to your own experience or from what you have read somewhere.
I'm trying to work out the best way to organise my trip, so if you have advice on recommended itineraries I would be most grateful.

It seems that the diving in the Philippines might be the cheapest option and i looks like the variety is there too ... Should I go first to the Philippines and do other places afterwards if i have some time remaining ?

Thanks a lot in advance for your answers and your help.

Cheers,
Greg.

PS : I'm going to start with a week in Pulau Perhentian (same if you have any recommendation on diving operators ....) and from there i will wait to see what are your advices ...

You could fly over to Borneo and dive Sipadan. Probably easiest after Perhentians to fly Johur Bahru to Tawau with Air Asia. After Sipadan head to Kota Kinabalu and fly on to Manila for Philippines diving. From the Philippines you could head for Manado to dive Lembeh and Bunaken.

The thing is there are just so many options and you don't have much time. By trying to dive three different countries you'll be missing a lot along the way.

In Sabah you could also dive Layang Layang. Sangalaki is not that hard to get to if you are already in Tawau. You could easily spend your whole time diving different places in the Philippines. It might be better to concentrate on one area.

You can hit some very good dive destinations in all three countries given the amount of time you've got if you stay in the eastern part of Indonesia rather than doubling back to the west.

Suggestions for itineraries after Perhentian:
1) Go first to Borneo and dive Sipadan/Mabul/Kapalai (M'sia)
2) Continue to Manado for diving at Bunaken and Lembeh (Indon)
3) End up your trip at Palawan or Moalbual (Phils) It's probably already too late in the year to get to Tubbataha, which is the premier dive area in the Phils.

From KL you can fly to Banda Aceh with Air Asia (Sun, Tue and Fri) and then hop on a ferry accross to Pulau Weh. The diving is pretty damn good - nice currents, and as the locals say - "No current, no shark." Check out www.lumbalumba.com.

Some good advice above - all depends on budget and what you really want to see. While Phils may have cheap options others areas of Malaysia, Indo and Thailand promise far superior diving and there are always operators in the lower price ranges. You can probably find all the answers you need here.

Back
Top Bottom