Diving in Kite Flying Weather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
We departed Redondo Beach this morning on a glassy surface. No swells nor wind made us believe the bad conditions that have plagued us this year were over. It lasted almost an entire dive.
We dropped into the still waters of the Pt. Vicente MPA to check out an isolated reef we hadn't dived before. The rock itself was beautiful. Fifteen foot wall all around the reef, rockfish and large sponges. The one thing that would have put this site on our return to list would be invertebrates. There were nudibranchs, but only a few species were represented. Nearby Little Reef has so many that we expected the same.
The reef is a great example of a Marine Protected Area. The fish are making a comeback and the only man made object I found was an expensive dive computer sitting on the sand. I recognized it and returned it to its owner immediately. Kevin Lee hadn't even noticed it was missing.
By the time we surfaced there were wind waves pounding the boat. We slowly made our way to Golf Ball Reef for a second dive. Visibility wasn't as bad as last Sunday. We had close to five feet of visibility today. By the time we ascended the wind was telling us to go home.
We'll be diving in British Columbia again beginning next weekend. I can't wait to get into strong currents, cold water and staying cold in the rainy climate. It will be a welcome change.
GBR%202_zps2o7xas2j.jpg

Small scorpionfish giving me the big eye

GBR%201_zpsxru1tnxa.jpg

Gorgonian feeding polyps

Pt%20Vicente%2021_zpsmrg2seug.jpg

Spanish Shawl, Flabellina iodinia

Pt%20Vicente%208_zpseld7tfkw.jpg

Hermissenda crassicornis laying eggs

Pt%20Vicente%207_zpsjggsxsbs.jpg

Pt%20Vicente%2010_zps48wp3ymy.jpg

Sponges dominate the reef

Pt%20Vicente%2014_zpschcnxpxx.jpg

Pt%20Vicente%201_zps3stpsvbt.jpg

Pt%20Vicente%204_zpsnmdcog1t.jpg

Pt%20Vicente%206_zpshxeaoyay.jpg

Pt%20Vicente%202_zpsshoiddgw.jpg

Pt%20Vicente%205_zps4bocrgu6.jpg

Pt%20Vicente%203_zpsvd7chqds.jpg

Pt%20Vicente%2012_zps1tghphzk.jpg

Pt%20Vicente%2013_zpsd72ckqfb.jpg

Pt%20Vicente%2017_zpseblzelsu.jpg

Pt%20Vicente%2018_zpsxtol5so9.jpg

Pt%20Vicente%2020_zpsejm5k4be.jpg

Pt%20Vicente%2019_zpsmvqyxqjc.jpg

Pt%20Vicente%2015_zpsxgdacpvo.jpg

Pt%20Vicente%2016_zpsuytbv6j5.jpg

Wow, beautiful pics! The lighting is excellent and well-balanced.

We'll be diving in British Columbia again beginning next weekend. I can't wait to get into strong currents, cold water and staying cold in the rainy climate. It will be a welcome change.
Um, yeah. Good luck... I just returned from Vancouver Island where they were having forest fires. It's been a very dry, hot year up there, too. Maybe the weather will relent for you. Have fun!

Back
Top Bottom