Question Diving in Jamaica

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seriously? Speared a angel? I hope you didn’t tip him and I am afraid if I had been on the boat what would have occurred. Ok, he might not have made it back on the boat. SMDH

Seriously? Speared a angel? I hope you didn’t tip him and I am afraid if I had been on the boat what would have occurred. Ok, he might not have made it back on the boat. SMDH
Not surprised, but extremely disappointed.

In the six dive trips we’ve done to Negril, of which half have been with an off-site dive op from our AI, we have never experienced that.

My wife and I are heading to Montego Bay in 10 days and have four dives planned.
Based on what I’ve read on this board, we’re going to be very very disappointed :-(
I will report back on the experience.

My wife and I are heading to Montego Bay in 10 days and have four dives planned.
Based on what I’ve read on this board, we’re going to be very very disappointed :-(
I will report back on the experience.

I have not dived out of Montego, but have done a few in Runaway and ocho and while it's better than a Texas lake, there's not much there.

If you could make a day trip for Negril, the reefs there are awesome.

I did my OW dives in Ocho Rios way back in 1998 through whatever AI resort we were staying at. Water was warm but I remember being like "Well, this Carribean thing doesn't seem all its cracked up to be" and coming out a bit disappointed. We did dive some interesting things like a supposed drug smuggling plane wreck, and saw limited marine life, but a subsequent trip to other locations in the Carribean and I saw why people actually engage in this sport!

Dive report - Montego Bay - 24-25 September
Dive centre: Captain Watersports - friendly DM Douglas
4 local reef/wall dives - some swim throughs - varying depths 30-80 feet
Water temp 88-91 (!) degrees, mild to no current - visibility about 40-50 feet
Noted: Lobsters, lionfish, puffer fish, devil rays, sea cucumbers (soft fur!), a couple large crabs, and a couple other species I can’t recall, as well as the usual assortment of small tropical fish.
Am ambivalent about the wire cages spread about on the sea floor with some of these critters trapped inside them
Great price US$220 for four dives incl equipment and pick up / drop off at our hotel pier.
Pleasant enough dives to maintain our certification
Good place for newbies but nothing new to us to log or write home about

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom