Diving in Hokkaido

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TJO

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Is anyone diving in Hokkaido?

We are planning to go there during the summer months and may do some diving. We only need to know where the good dive sites are, how to get there by car, and what we can expect to see.

Thomas

I don't know much about it but according to my wife the ice diving is supposed to be the big thing there in winter. I did see an article about it once in a Japanese magazine - I didn't understand a word of course, but the pictures were nice.
What would you see in summer? Dunno, maybe some of those crabs with the really long legs? My wife has some friends up there (she went to university in Sapporo) so maybe she can ask around a bit.

Kim, I moved away from Sweden and the ice... ;-) No. That would be really nice. But that will be another trip. We are planning to go around for a week by car and do some diving but also enjoy the nice nature in Hokkaido.

Thomas

Kaori phoned her mate last night. I must say, it didn't sound too spectacular!

The main place is called Utoro - it's on the east coast. In the summer it's still quite cold - 7mm wetsuits or dry. There is a little bit of kelp, a few sea urchins and some kind of anemone not found in a lot of places. Vis is normally around 20 meters.
Just north of Sapporo is another place called Shakotan - it is supposed to be similar to the water around Honshu - whatever that means. There are also a few fresh water lakes that people dive, but there doesn't seem to be a lot in them!
All in all it wouldn't attract me in the summer for diving - although the scenery in Hokkaido is stunning!

Kim:
Kaori phoned her mate last night. I must say, it didn't sound too spectacular!

- Thanks Kim!

The main place is called Utoro - it's on the east coast. In the summer it's still quite cold - 7mm wetsuits or dry. There is a little bit of kelp, a few sea urchins and some kind of anemone not found in a lot of places. Vis is normally around 20 meters.

- For me it sounds interesting. I often dive drysuit anyway even in summer here...

Just north of Sapporo is another place called Shakotan - it is supposed to be similar to the water around Honshu - whatever that means. There are also a few fresh water lakes that people dive, but there doesn't seem to be a lot in them!

- Fresh water diving could be interesting. Very different. Used to do a lot in Sweden. It clean the gear as well :) Perhaps some nice rivers as well.

All in all it wouldn't attract me in the summer for diving - although the scenery in Hokkaido is stunning!

Thomas

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom