Diving in El Salvador

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

poleinahole

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Had a lovely day diving in Lake Ilopango, about an hour from San Salvador. It's a crater lake where you can see (through thermocline) and feel hot water vents from the hot gases seeping from the lake. I did my National Geographical Diver speciality and took part in a crab survey as part of the course ($190 for two dives, materials and C-card). If you just want to do fun dives its $65 for two dives.

I dove with El Salvador Divers--a 5 star PADI facility. E-mail: info@elsalvadordivers.com. They are very professional, safety conscious and friendly. The owner is a US trained dive instructor and commercial diver. They also have US trained equipment specailists who service gear. You have to stop by their store in Colonia Escalaon (an upscale area of San Salvador) to sign releases, show your C card and get fitted for wet suits and equipment the day before you want to dive. They will pick you up at your hotel--usually at 7 AM and you will be back at about 3 PM if you dive in Lake Ilopango.

They have a big, rambling club house right on the lake amidst a well tended garden that serves as dive HQ. You can change there, use the toilets and showers and leave your valuables. They also occasionaly do night dives and barbecues there. They have comfortable, specially designed boats with a canopy that take you to the dive sites: Burning Hills--right in front of picturesque rocks in the middle of the lake and the Devil's Cauldron where you can see and feel the hot water vents, Mayan terrace or staircase remains and overlook a ridge that drops 775 feet down. Viz is best at the height of the dry season (up to 45 feet). When I dove in early November at the very beginning of the dry season the viz was about 12 feet.

They also offer diving in the more picturesque but less interesting from a diver's perspective (no hot water vents) Lake Coatepeque. You can also dive with them on the Pacific Coast during Dec.-Jan. when the visiblity and weather conditions (dry season) allow at Los Cobanos. Finally, they also run weekend trips to Roatan for $250 with three dives, Saturday night hotel stay, roundtrip airfare included.

I stayed at the Nova Apart Hotel in Colonia Escalon. It's a quiet leafy oasis in San Salvador with simple but very clean rooms with a fridge, range, aircon and cable TV for $55 for a single. They have a pool. Its popular with visiting regional business people and has a small business center where you can access the Internet.

Despite El Salvador's reputaion for war, gangs and violence I found it very safe and orderly (everyone used their safety belts!) Taxis were honest and reliable. People are hardworking and friendly and your dollar will go a long way.

I'll have 2-3 weeks in San Salvador for work. Other dive recommendations - places, dive shops, etc.? Anywhere to rent doubles? Weekend dive trip to Roatan sounds great. Other relatively easy trips from San Salvador?

Thanks,

Hal

There are several bus companies that go from San Salvador across Guatemala to Belize. Belize is a lot more expensive than El Salvador, but when we have visibility of 45 feet here, it would probably be during a hurricane and 12 feet vis, we would not even go into the water. I do like El Salvador though and the people there are some of the hardest working people in the world. Great work ethic and lots of relatively inexpensive places to stay and eat.

There are several bus companies that go from San Salvador across Guatemala to Belize. Belize is a lot more expensive than El Salvador, but when we have visibility of 45 feet here, it would probably be during a hurricane and 12 feet vis, we would not even go into the water. I do like El Salvador though and the people there are some of the hardest working people in the world. Great work ethic and lots of relatively inexpensive places to stay and eat.

Thanks. May just stick to El Salvador.

Hal

i just did four dives at Ilopango, including the Devil's cauldron.

If i was being harsh, i would say the diving sucks there....but being objective i would conclude it is merely different (i am spoiled).

The scenery surrounding the crater/lake is spectacular and worth the trip alone. The dives are in fresh water, which required a weight adjustment (salt water makes you far more bouyent).

There isn't much to see at the bottom of these places, the same species of fish, and one species of crab...although the rock formations are interesting, sort of like being on the moon surface with an eery background.

If you have nothing better to do in SS, then give this a chance....ESD were a great outfit, very safety conscious and good company.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom