Diving in Curacao while on Cruise ship

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AstridWilson

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Arriving in Willemstad, Curacao via Freedom of the Seas Cruise Ship at 8AM and must be back on boat by 6PM. I see that Royal Caribbean has an excursion for $169 that reads “Jump in and experience diving in the clear blue waters of Curacao on this two-tank dive trip. You will be taken to the famous Sea Aquarium and Mambo Beach for two incredible dives on the house reef of our dive center. Look for turtles, eels, colorful angel fish, hidden lobster and little critters like shrimp on these beautiful dives. ”

Does anyone know who Royal Caribbean uses as a Dive Shop?

Seems high for a diving off the shore at a house reef. Any alternate suggestions

Generally the further North you go, the better the diving is in Curacao. The Dive Bus Welcome to The Dive Bus, Curacao - The Dive Bus Curaçao comes recommended (although I have never dove with them). I would avoid any dive operator tied to a cruze ship (just on principle). That plus USD ~170 seems high

yike$$$$$$$!!!!! We are paying about $100/diver for a 2-tank dive (Dive Bus), and it is also close to what boat charters are costing there from my research.... perhaps transportation, guide, gear, etc. are driving it up?

Last edited:
I know, keep my cruise ship comments to myself. Will you have your own gear or need to rent? That might explain what looks like an awfully high price.

Would need the details of what is included and what is involved to help you out. The location sounds like Lion's Den and Oceanencounters and that it might either be guided or an intro to diving.

On two of my cruise stops (do not remember if it was RCCL or Celebrity=same company) Ocean Encounters at Lions Dive Resort was the ship's dive op. We did a two tank boat dive on one stop, and a two tank shore dive on the other. Both two tank dives were excellent, as were the dive op's facilities at Lions Dive Resort, their boat, and their crews/DMs. The shore dives were nice, not only because their house reef was in good shape, but enjoyed using their beach facilities and restaurant during the SI and after the dives. I was sufficiently impressed with the dive op, I used them again on another cruise (Princess I think) stop that did not offer a dive excursion. Unfortunately, I do not remember what the ship's excursions costs were, or whether dive gear was included (I had my own on all three stops), but I remember thinking by the time I factored in a taxi in each direction from the cruise port on my non-ship dives with Ocean Encounters, the cost was pretty comparable, and with the ship's excursion there was no worry about not getting back to the ship in time. Not surprisingly, I found the quality of dives equal when using them as the ship's excursion and going on my own, and will likely use them again.

Here's a link to Royal Caribbean's excursion page on that outing; says equipment is provided.

It's my understanding from a cruise-related forum that ship excursions are often a bit more expensive than privately booked alternatives; I think the ship gets a cut. Interesting to read where they take you; the Dive Bus is very close to that area. Might be worth shooting them an e-mail to ask about a shore diving alternative. They've got a web page for cruisers; and further along, here's a prices/packages list.

Richard.

The main Ocean Encounters shop is across the channel from the Aquarium and Mambo Blvd is behind Lions Dive in the same area. Locations - Ocean Encounters Curacao!
I would not say their reef is the best though - I did a dolphin dive there and it was pretty sparse compared to farther west - which is harder to do from a cruise ship as they dock downtown.

While I recommend the Dive Bus also you'll have to get youself there from the cruise port (maybe 15min. away) as they don't pickup at the port. Cruise Ship passengers - The Dive Bus Curaçao
Their shore dive is Pierbaai Beach which I believe is the main Carpile wreck site but it's deep and by now the cars are crumbling.

See what Bas Harts Diving can do for you. Or Goby Divers who are only about 5 min. north of the cruise port. IIRC both offer pickups also.
Diving Curacao During Your Caribbean Cruise
Goby Divers | PADI Tec Dive Center & Boat Diving | Curaçao

Back
Top Bottom