Diving in Cuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How funny that you posted this....we are seriously considering a trip to Cuba after Grand Cayman in the summer for a couple of days of divingn and came on here to do some research. We are hoping to do it through ScubaCuba, if I can confirm that it's a reputable operation and a good way to travel (we are Americans, so it's still somewhat of an issue for us). Also, what are your thoughts about the safety of the airlines/baggage handlers with our own gear (brand new) in checked baggage? That's my biggest worry, as we are not divers who push the limits so the hyperbaric chamber issue isn't as big of a deal...I just don't want our cool Zeagle/Atomic gear to be stolen.

Thanks!

How funny that you posted this....we are seriously considering a trip to Cuba after Grand Cayman in the summer for a couple of days of divingn and came on here to do some research. We are hoping to do it through ScubaCuba, if I can confirm that it's a reputable operation and a good way to travel (we are Americans, so it's still somewhat of an issue for us). Also, what are your thoughts about the safety of the airlines/baggage handlers with our own gear (brand new) in checked baggage? That's my biggest worry, as we are not divers who push the limits so the hyperbaric chamber issue isn't as big of a deal...I just don't want our cool Zeagle/Atomic gear to be stolen.

Thanks!

I've never had a problem with my gear getting to Cuba safely. Never heard of ScubaCuba. Must be an American travel agency. All scuba operations in Cuba (to my knowledge) are under the control to the state. For the most part the tanks are in great shape, as are the compressors. I've never rented gear because I've always taken my own.

Yes, ScubaCuba is an organization/company that arranges all your diving/accommodations/paperwork for Americans to be in Cuba legally, conducting research for their company. It certainly isn't cheap, but for a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, I'm willing to give it a try especially if we leave from the Cayman Islands where flights should be less. I'm afraid that the progress made in Cuban relations will go back to how it was before, making it virtually impossible for Americans to go again for a long while.

Thanks for the reassurance on the gear. I'd be devastated if my pink stuff went missing! :)

I just returned from Cuba. Landed on 18 Dec just before the Christmas rush, along with all of Europe. Chaos at Havana airport. Stood in line for 4 hours for the money exchange counter.

I didn't check bags but seemed like most people lost their bags that day and in the days before. One lady checked in her grandma's ashes (to return to Santiago de Cuba), airport lost them for 3 days. Most others in our guesthouse had lost their bags. Seemed like things cleared up after but I would be wary if it was peak travel period. The airport just isn't up for handling that kind of traffic yet (and believe me, people *are* getting interested in Cuba)!

I was with a group of 14 from my LDS who were there in November, before US airlines were operating flights directly to Havana. So, things may be different. No one lost a bag. It took a while (but I've waited longer, much longer in the Maldives and Madagascar for bags). We booked with Oceans for Youth Foundation and were on an Aggressor. There is another dive boat there and I understood they were adding another Aggressor boat. We dived Jardines de la Reina (featured in Nat Geo in November with pictures by Steve Frink). Accommodations were much better than I expected. Because we were meeting the "people to people" requirements of the US State Department for travel to Cuba, we visited a local neighborhood group (those who have been to Communist countries know what this is). I was disappointed in the diving. The reefs, particularly soft corals were magnificent. The reef life was good, but not great. Now, you have to understand that I don't do much Caribbean diving because I love IndoPacific diving so much, so you may have a different experience. Have fun!

I am currently planning a trip at the end of March. I don't plan on using a "canned" trip as I speak Spanish and am used to traveling on the local economy in other places such as the DR, Costa Rica, Panama, Venezuela, and Mexico. Is this possible?

My plan was to stay in BNB's and trying to hook up with a dive outfit for the diving. Can anyone outline (or point me to) the requirements for US citizens under the People to People exemption?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom