Diving in Costa Rica

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Guys

In a couple of weeks i will be in costa rica and i have been trying to contact the dive sites over there to no joy. I will be in Quepos and Puerto Viejo. Can anybody advise on a good contact over there

thanks P

Go look through the Central America forum and you'll find lot's of info there. I just posted on another thread that is asking almost the same thing you are. Reef Runners in Puerto Viejo, not sure about Quepos. Only complaints I have about Puerto Viejo is there isn't a lot to see (aquatic wise) and the prices for a single tank are around $40-50 US. Way too expensive for what you're going to get. Good Luck.

Reefrunners is very slow to respond, but they eventually do. I wanted to dive with them, but it's a 90-minute cab ride from the cruise ship to the shop and I'm not interested in doing that. So, that will be a zip line day! :)

When communicating with dive ops in these more remote, less developed regions, please keep in mind that telephone and internet services are not available everywhere and are not reliable. The more exotic the dive destinations, the more expensive and sporadic communications might be.

When I worked in Panama, the diving was awesome, but there was only 1 radio towered phone in town that would go out for up to 4 weeks at a time and internet via satellite was less reliable (a raincloud would cause signal loss) and costly. It was a 2 hour drive to a city with OK communications. Much of Central America fits into this description. I went over the border to Costa Rica often.

I dove with Oceans Unlimited a few years back. Good operation. They do day trips to Isla del Cano, which has excellent diving. If you're going to do Isla del Cano with Oceans Unlimited, be aware that it's a 2+ hour boat trip each direction in an open boat, which can be rather uncomfortable. But the diving is awesome!

i dived with Oceans Unlimited in quepos and they were pretty good, only the weather let us down taking out the view. would have cancelled in the UK but you just gotta dive. Good boat

I got hold of reefrunners when i porto viejo. smaller setup with some ageing kit. did 4 dives with them. limited sites due to rain on the 2nd day. causes all the stream to flood in reducing viz. not many large fish around, actually saw nurse sharks and rays when snorkelling. best things diving this side was the lionfish, toadfish and lobsters. coral is beautiful.

thanks to all for responding

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom